Eye: Injury? Foreign Body?

I took the pups for their walk today, and decided to take a little path through the woods. The dogs love it there, and we've not gone there for awhile.

Suddenly Buddy started to paw at his eye. I thought maybe he walked into a cobweb/spiderweb, because I did just then. I wiped his face off, thinking maybe that's all it was.

Well, a couple of hours later, he's got his eye half-closed, and it had been tearing a little bit.

Now I wonder if maybe there's something in there; even a bug, maybe? Or did he scratch it on a branch? I just don't know.

Is it a good idea to wash the eye out, maybe with some saline solution? My DD is home from college till tomorrow and she just happens to wear contacts, so I've got some saline here, at least until tomorrow....

I keep thinking of the scratched cornea Buddy had a few years ago...that was terrible for him, very painful, he had to have it chemically debrided.

Any ideas?

TIA!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Eyes are so tricky - as you know. I'd opt for the vet sooner rather than later. If it is a problem you can catch it before it gets any worse.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Mommydog

Grass seed maybe ? Joe once scratched his eye on marram grass and it was weepy for a few days. It's a long time since, but as far as I remember I bathed it with salt water.

If it were me I would call my vet and ask about the saline solution and whether he recommends for you to bring him in. This is one of those things that really can't and shouldn't be diagnosed or treated on an Internet msg board.

I agree. Missile had a pine needle stuck in his eye during a walk 2 weeks ago. I called the E vet and she said bring him in ASAP. Can't mess with the eyes. In an odd circumstance, when Missile jumped out of the truck in the vet's parking lot, I looked at his eye/nose area and the thing had worked it way out on it's own. I kept the vet appt. just to make sure no more broken pieces were still inside. All was well. But it was a get it taken care of right away situation. Hope you get vet attention as soon as is possible.

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!