Arty's Got Another Boo-boo -- Neosporin Ok?

Guest ArtysPeople

Guest ArtysPeople

Arty was chasing a tennis ball around a courtyard yesterday and skidded out on some pavement and now has about a half-dollar size scrape on an upper rear leg. It's nothing that needs to be or even could be sutured and he hasn't shown the slightest indication that it bothers him -- in fact, he was really upset that I called a halt to the tennis ball session in order to take care of it! I saw him give it a few licks last night, but otherwise he's completely left it alone.

So here's the question: since I'm not bandaging this wound (it's high on his thigh and couldn't be bandaged without getting REALLY creative), is there a version of Neosporin or something similar that I could use on him that would be OK for him to ingest? Or should I just go ahead and use the Neosporin, since it's such a small amount, and accept the fact that he'll probably lick it off? Or should I just let his "antibacterial" dog saliva and nature take care of it on their own?

Neosporin is generally safe to use and a lot of people use it. I sometimes don't even bother - if the wound doesn't look sore, I just keep an eye on it and make sure it stays clean. But I don't know what Arty's wound looks like - poor baby!

:kiss2 :kiss2 for your beautiful boy.

PS Yes, Gail + Mary + Jennifer +I and hounds will be there Saturday!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest ArtysPeople
Neosporin is generally safe to use and a lot of people use it. I sometimes don't even bother - if the wound doesn't look sore, I just keep an eye on it and make sure it stays clean. But I don't know what Arty's wound looks like - poor baby!

Thanks, Kerry. I figured it was OK, but thought I'd get the general wisdom of the crowd on it, in case it was just one of those things I didn't know (like, who would have guessed raisins could be bad?). My biggest concern right now is that I wanted to give Arty a bath before this weekend so he'd look all nice for his hound buddies, but I don't want to do anything like that until a scab forms. :lol

Hope to see you all there Saturday, rain or shine, bath or no! We'll probably be there later in the day, as we really aren't morning people.

I'd probably leave it open, it will probably heal faster that way. Dog saliva is okay too as long as he's not getting carried away licking at it (and thus stretching the wound bigger).

Glad that it's not bothering him much. Hope it heals quickly!

I put neosporin on those leg scrapes all the time. I usually wrap it for the first 24 hours to give the cut a chance to start healing without him messing with it, and after that I just keep it clean and put neosporin on. He licks it off all the time, but at least I try!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Thanks, Kerry. I figured it was OK, but thought I'd get the general wisdom of the crowd on it, in case it was just one of those things I didn't know (like, who would have guessed raisins could be bad?). My biggest concern right now is that I wanted to give Arty a bath before this weekend so he'd look all nice for his hound buddies, but I don't want to do anything like that until a scab forms. :lol

Hope to see you all there Saturday, rain or shine, bath or no! We'll probably be there later in the day, as we really aren't morning people.

It starts at 10!!!! Lazy bums! :lol :lol

I wouldn't worry about giving him a bath before the event anyway, the other houndies will probably like his doggie smell better anyway - i.e the smellier the better! :lol:

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Dragonmom
I figured it was OK, but thought I'd get the general wisdom of the crowd on it, in case it was just one of those things I didn't know (like, who would have guessed raisins could be bad?).

!!!!! RASINS ARE BAD???what about grapes?????

Grapes aren't good for dogs either. I only found this out after I adopted Merlin, and it seems to depend on the dog to be honest. I never knew this when I was growing up and regularly gave my beagle grapes as treats (he LOOOOVED them). And he was always fine. I know other dogs who are given grapes and they do fine too. I guess it depends on how sturdy their stomachs are... Rufus, my beagle, could eat pretty much anything and he was fine.

I never give Merlin grapes though.