Leash Pulling

Guest chevbedra

Guest chevbedra

Hello. I recently adopted a 4 year old greyhound. She is great but when we go on walks, it seems like I'm the one being walked. She drags me around and by the end of the walk my arms are sore. She is also very distracted on the walks and won't take any treats or anything. Is this common for greyhounds? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can break her of these habits? Thanks!

Yep! Here are a few suggestions.

• When you feel the leash tighening up, stop. Do not resume walking until she relaxes and lets up on the leash.
  • As soon as she starts pulling, turn around and walk in the other direction. Sort of the same concept, but eventually she'll learn that she doesn't get to move forward unless she walks nicely.
  • Invest in a front-clip harness. There is a really nice one made by Wags, Wiggles, and Whiskers. When the dog begins to pull, the front clip forces them to spin around and face you. Wait until she stops pulling and then move forward.

I never had a problem with Henry "pulling," but he would constantly zig-zag during walks. In order to test for CGC/TDI, we had to have a very good loose-leash walk on my left side. I walked him around my backyard using targeting and giving treats when he was in the right position. Greyhounds usually aren't big pullers, but they are sighthounds, so they get distracted sometimes. Good luck!

Edited by a_daerr

Guest verthib

If you've only had her for a short while, consider that this is all new and exciting. They're used to seeing primarily one or two kennels, and a turn out pen. You're opening up her world. :)

Be patient and use gentle but consisent training techniqus and I'm sure in time she'll be a great walker. Congrats on your new baby!

Guest Charmedseed

Indy was super-nervous and distracted when we first got him. He didn't pull on the leash as much as just freeze up and not go anywhere. Give your new grey some time to get used to everything in the universe and hopefully things will get better!

It's actually reasonably easy to sort this one (with most dogs), if you're consistent. Our first greyhound pulled like a train, and this is what we did -

Set aside two periods a day for 'walks', or rather 'training sessions' - say ten to fifteen minutes. Don't expect to go anywhere.

Put your dog's leash on her and go out of the door. She will probably begin pulling immediately. So, turn around, right there on your doorstep and walk in the other direction. If you don't have much space, you'll need to keep the leash short enough that you can do a complete circle until you are facing the right way.

A really bad puller will catch up, overtake you and begin pulling again. As soon as the leash tightens, turn around again, and walk the other way. You don't need to say anything, but if you want to, there must be NO yelling or shouting, just a simple 'Uh-uh!' or 'No. This way!' when the leash tightens up again. The 'No' part can be firm and sharp, but the 'This way' must be cheerful and upbeat.

You will probably spend the entire 15 minutes just outside your house on the first day, but don't worry, just take her back inside and go about your business - she'll be very confused, but this is a good thing!

The second day, she should show signs of starting to think about things. The third day is when you should begin to see an improvement. Our dog had it sussed by the third day and we could begin to walk out again properly. If she relapses at any time, just turn around and walk the other way until she's on a loose leash again.

I've told many people about this method, and those that actually stick to it consistently are amazed at how well it works, but you must NEVER allow the dog to pull 'just this once' to get the walk done.

Having a garden/yard makes this super easy, but if you must walk your dog to allow her to pee/poop it's a little more difficult. It can still be done by popping her in the car for the first few days of training and doing the work somewhere she can empty herself during those ultra-short turn-around walks, and once she's understood the principle of 'walk = loose lead' you can insist on it between the house and car too.

Good luck!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

i agree with the above posters.

blue, my angel doggie, was a 10 mo. old pup at the shelter where i got him rather than at his fosters that day, as a lady had wanted to see him & had took him for a walk just before i arrived. he pulled her so much she fell over & got dragged & blue flunked her eval. i came about an hour later, walked him as well. he pulled. i stopped. he pulled again. i stopped & went the other way. did this maybe three times. he stopped pulling. i took him home that day. he never pulled again. he was a quick study. never pee'd or poo'd in the house, ever. he did chew up stuff for a while tho until he grew up...

millie, who i got straight from the track, never pulled, she was used to being on the leash before & after races,

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest BrianRke

Yep! Here are a few suggestions.

• When you feel the leash tighening up, stop. Do not resume walking until she relaxes and lets up on the leash.
  • As soon as she starts pulling, turn around and walk in the other direction. Sort of the same concept, but eventually she'll learn that she doesn't get to move forward unless she walks nicely.
  • Invest in a front-clip harness. There is a really nice one made by Wags, Wiggles, and Whiskers. When the dog begins to pull, the front clip forces them to spin around and face you. Wait until she stops pulling and then move forward.

I never had a problem with Henry "pulling," but he would constantly zig-zag during walks. In order to test for CGC/TDI, we had to have a very good loose-leash walk on my left side. I walked him around my backyard using targeting and giving treats when he was in the right position. Greyhounds usually aren't big pullers, but they are sighthounds, so they get distracted sometimes. Good luck!

Exactly this!!! For a demo, check out Victoria Stilwell's website.

Guest Eyeblaura

We've had Enzo about a month now and he was a puller. One day of turning around when he pulled and he is now an excellent loose lead walker. On the rare occasion he pulls a bit I just stop and when it is loose again resume. I bet she learns quickly. Good luck!

Once you have her on a loose leash, you will probably also find that she is willing to pay you better attention. You can start saying her name at random intervals to get her attention; when she looks at you, say "yes!" and give her a treat. Once she's reliably looking at you when you say her name, stop using it, and wait until she looks at you on her own, then say "yes!" and give a treat. This will encourage her to check in with you periodically.

I also like to have my dog sit at crosswalks and intersections (or if she's not fond of sitting, you could just have her "wait" or "watch me"). A behaviorist told me that having structured periods within the walk when the dog knows to fix her attention on you will help with his overall level of focus. It does seem to make a difference.

I also like to have my dog sit at crosswalks and intersections (or if she's not fond of sitting, you could just have her "wait" or "watch me").

We do this with our dogs. The interesting thing is that it needed very little time to teach Ranger to 'wait'. Probably because he was the first dog we've had who really wanted to shoot out of the door every time it opened, so I would put their leads on, open the door, and refuse to take a step outside until both leads were loose and both dogs were standing patiently waiting.

I can tell you that Sid wore an expression of great long-suffering while this was going on. He knew this trick already and would look at Ranger as if to say 'for heaven's sake, mate, just stand still and we'll get out the door quicker!' :lol

There was an in-between time where Ranger was beginning to get it but was still very excited about the door being open, and he'd dance on the spot. You could tell he knew what to do but was having trouble complying. He's very good now, though, bless him - and yes, he will wait on command by the roads we need to cross, whether Sid is with us or not. He has it down, now! :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop