Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol

I just learned from Pat Miller that someone took the time to put Karen Overall's relaxation protocol onto downloadable MP3 files. The protocol is dictated, including counting when appropriate so you cannot possibly screw up. You just put the headphones in and off you go! Not only does this make it much easier to accurately do the protocol, but in my opinion it makes it much less daunting. I have actually been telling myself for years that I would do this protocol with Zuri, but every time I look at my xeroxed copy with the teeny tiny print I get overwhelmed and say forget it. Well not I have no excuse so we're going to start it. I'll let you know how it goes, but in the meantime, just wanted to share this link because I think it's totally brilliant. :clap

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Can you explain what this protocol is? It's a training protocol to teach dogs to relax? Relax in stressful situations or...?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Can you explain what this protocol is? It's a training protocol to teach dogs to relax? Relax in stressful situations or...?

Yes, the protocol is to teach dogs to relax in situations where they are otherwise stressed, anxious, fearful, over-stimulated, etc. The idea is to start at home and then progress to repeating the protocol in more stimulating places. It's meant to be a basis before continuing with more specific desensitization/counter-conditioning protocols although most dogs can probably benefit just from doing this protocol.

There's a lot of good information, including the protocol itself here.

By the way, most dogs don't move through the protocol in 15 days. The idea is to work on a single day, or sometimes only a portion of a day for as long as it takes for your dog to move comfortably through the series. Only then do you move on to the next day. Then when you move to a new environment, you start over at day 1.

Zuri has mild SA and also has a terrible habit of barking his fool head off at events where he's either 1)overstimulated or 2) bored because I'm standing and talking when he sees many people and dogs he needs to meet and greet. Going through this protocol should help us with both.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."