Greatest Gift

Guest DeweytheGreyt

Guest DeweytheGreyt

I found this when I was going through the loss of my Bridge kitty Baby. It was tough to read, but EXACTLY expressed how I felt. Hopefully it can help someone else.....

By Karla M. Bertram 11/23/96

I always knew this time would come, From the very instant our eyes first met. How I loved you then! How I love you now! I made a promise then and I keep that promise now . . . You will not suffer from a pain that will not heal; You will not know the loss of a life remembered, now gone. It is for me alone to make this decision, The price for the bright joy and pure laughter you brought me during the time we shared. I am the only one who can decide when it is time. When my hope dies, and my fears ride high. Just when I need you most, I must let you go. It is for you alone to tell me when you are ready. For without your guidance, I will not know when to lay my grief, my guilt, my anger, my sorrow and my selfish heart aside. And give you this last gift, this greatest gift. Your eyes will speak to mine, and I will know. The pain of this moment is excruciating. Tears stream down my face in a river of sorrow, And my heart drowns in a pool of grief. For you have spoken, and I have listened, And unlike other decisions I have made, This one brings no relief . . . no comfort . . . no peace. For if there's one thing you've taught me, If there's only one thing I've learned. . . . Unconditional love has a condition after all, I must be willing to let you go, when you speak to me I must be willing to help you go, if you cannot go alone. And I must accept my pain so you can be free of yours.

Go easily now, go quickly now, Do not linger here, it is time for you to leave. Go find your strength, go find your youth. Go find the ones who've gone before you. You are free to leave me now, free to let your spirit soar Rest easy now, your pain will soon be gone.

I pray I will find comfort in my memories . . . In the dark and lonely days ahead.

I cannot say I will not miss you, I cannot say I will not cry. For only my tears can heal my broken heart. But, I promise you this: as long as I live, You will live, alive in my mind, forever in my heart. So I give you this last gift, all I have left to give, And this will be my greatest gift . . . sending you away. It is the measure of my unconditional love . . . For only the greatest love can say, "Good-bye, go find the bridge, we'll meet again, Loving you has been the greatest gift of all."