I Think About Him All The Time...

Guest nerocavallo

Guest nerocavallo

My first gh, Caleb, was my best friend. He was a 2-year-old dark brindle straight off the track. I called him my "Backseat Monster" because he took up the entire back seat of my F-150. I know the adoption agencies always say don't let them off their leash when not in an enclosed area but Caleb was different. We became so attached to each other that when taking out to go potty I didn't even need a leash because he stayed glued to me (except when he had to go!). We would go out to the stables when my horse is and I could let off his leash and not worry about him. I always knew where he was by the steady trail of dust behind him! He'd run around the stables-check on me-run around the stables-check on me-run around some more! He'd go jogging with me and stay by my side the entire time or we would lay on the couch together and watch a movie. I can't remember the last time I had that kind of a connection with a dog. He really was my best friend.

But he had extreme anxiety when I wasn't around. I tried putting him in the kitchen while I was gone-he broke through everything, I tried a hard plastic crate-dug and ripped through that and I tried a heavy-duty metal crate-he bent his way out of that. Leaving him uncrated wasn't an option because he would leave serious messes on the floor. As much as I loved him (and always will) I felt he needed a home with access to the outdoors at all times. He just wasn't an apartment dog. So, I took him back-tried to be brave but as soon as they took his leash from me and I bent down to give him one last hug I just started crying uncontrollably. Even though it was the right thing for him since I couldn't afford a house any time soon, it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

I would never try to replace him and never could but I miss my best friend. I just can't lay on the couch and watch a movie with my horse! I emailed and asked AAGI how he was and they said he was in a house a very happy. That gave me some closure and began to feel that I was ready. Now I'm in a nice big house with a fenced yard and ready give my new gh a place to call home. :)

That made me feel better. My condolences to those of you have lost a greyhound.

Guest ProudGreyMom

I'm sorry you had to part from your friend. However you gave him a great start, taught him about love and sent him to a place where he is taken care of. Maybe someday you can get a new friend and use your experience with him to make it even better!

Guest auntiesara

What a sad story. I'm sure he misses you and still loves you. My Sweetie came to us because her mother was hospitalised for depression . She was alone in the apartment until Grandma could come from out of state to release her. For the rest of her life Sweetie rushed up to any women who resembled her mother and Grandmother and put her arms up on them.

Sara

Guest Meredith

I know how you feel... Elvis lived w/ us for 4 months, but he chewed EVERYTHING I owned that was an antique, and then he started trying to dominate my Jane, which is a big no no. He even bit her ear. Finally I just couldn't take it anymore, so we rehomed him 2 1/2 weeks ago. He's now in a home with a HUGE yard (2 1/2 acres fenced) and a submissive female grey, and has had no chewing problems at all.

Our whole family loved him to bits, and we miss him terribly, but this just wasn't the right home for him. Sometimes love means letting someone go.

Hugs........

You sound like you're going to be a greyt parent - again.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)