Food obsession and aggression toward other dog

MRK

Hi all.  I want to say first that I am consulting with a dog behaviorist on this issue, but I want to know if anyone else has experienced it.  I've seen posts about resource guarding and aggression, but I think this issue is trickier.  One of my dogs, Z, is four years old and I've had him for 3 years.  He has always been obsessed with food, and I know he has issues over it.  He is aggressive if he steals food (or finds a dead lizard) and I try to take it away.  I can deal with this, and have learned to try to prevent it or trade for a treat.  Most of the time, I can sit on the couch next to him and eat a full meal and he doesn't care.  But sometimes he gets this look on his face when he sees food, like he has to have it NOW.  Again, I can deal with that by removing the food, and he goes back to normal.

The problem I'm having, which is happening more often lately, is that he sometimes goes after my other dog, L (15).  I think I've figured out that he thinks she is going to get food, even if there isn't any, and he doesn't want her to have it.  If they are both lying down downstairs, and she gets up and walks to or even by the kitchen or food bowls (no food, just water), he will go after her.  I intervene when I'm there.  Now it is happening upstairs but I haven't witnessed it -- there's a scuffle, and it's over when I get up there.  I have been feeding L in my bedroom lately and I think it's the same issue.  They are lying down, she gets up, and he thinks she's going for some food that isn't there.  I always separate them when they eat.  He used to eat outside (when it's not cold or wet) and she'd eat inside downstairs.  But she is old and starts to sink when she eats standing up, and it has been cold, so she usually eats in my bedroom lying down, with my door closed, and he eats at his normal food station downstairs.  It's been getting worse, and he scratched her head and maybe her nose, and one time I noticed after a scuffle that her neck was wet.  It's only a matter of time until he really hurts her.  She is clearly scared of him now and won't stay in the same room with him.  I keep them separated as much as possible.

My question (to you wonderful people and to the trainer...waiting to hear back...) is if anyone has experienced anything like this and if it's fixable.  Most of the time he's a big sweetie and they get along.  He shows no aggression to any dog or person on walks.  It's clearly a food jealousy/guarding issue.  Can he be changed?  Do I have to just keep them separate until she is gone, and then keep him as an only dog?  Should I find somewhere for him to stay until she is gone, so she won't live in fear for her final days?  She is old, weak, toothless, and at least partially deaf, but she's still kicking and enjoying walks.  She doesn't deserve to be bullied by her brother.  And I don't want to just return him and make him someone else's problem (besides the fact that he's my baby and I made a commitment when I adopted him).

Thanks for any advice.  I'm hoping the trainer can help as well.

*Your behaviorist should be able to tell you if this is part of your issue.
**** (This is not something that can be know from an email or board)******

Just a thought,  when young dogs come into there prime and old dogs are not able to physically be the leader anymore.  The pecking order needs to be changed meaning The Who is physically able to be leader needs to be fed first, acknowledged first, and so on.  If the one who is not able to physically be the leader gets things first.  It can upset the natural balance between the dogs and can result negative behavior fights or bites.   If you support the pecking order top dog first for everything then the jealousy and bad behavior can be managed.  Then you can restore balance and harmony and make everyone feel safe.

Example:  After a longtime of training and behavior modification I added a second dog.  First dog was aggressive to anything with four feet when I adopt her.  As long as she was first things were fine.  If the second dog got attention first there were issues.  So supporting order made all the difference for us.  (Was able to have original dog in very selective play group of 4-5 dogs who were middle of the pact for years). 

*Again you need to work with a behaviorist in person to see if this is even part of your issue.*    Just food for thought....

You may want to separate or use a muzzles to protect both your dogs while you figure things out. Just to be safe.

Best wishes