Changing To Sensitive Food (Uk)

Guest Nevermore67

Guest Nevermore67

Hi everyone. Our boy has had a nasty case of the runs a couple of times in the last few weeks. The vet suspects a gut infection and we are treating him but are also considering switching his food from a normal Greyhound mix to a hypo allergenic kibble just in case he has an intolerance to his current food.

We have done a lot of reading and have more or less settled on Burgess Sensitive Salmon and Rice as it seems to be gluten free and carries a lower level of protein than some of the others. Does anyone use this food and how are your hounds doing on it?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

My Peggy has a very sensitive stomach and following a bad infection I tried her on Burns Sensitive+, but it only made her worse.. The protein was 18.5%

I eventually settled on Barking Heads Golden Years and you can see the analysis on the UK allaboutdogfood site.

(That's a handy site to use because it lets you tick and compare)

Composition*40% Chicken, Trout and Salmon (includes 27% Dried Chicken, 7% Trout, 3% Chicken Stock, 2% Salmon Oil, 1% Chicken Fat), Brown Rice, Potato, Barley, Oats, Peas, Lucerne, Seaweed, Tomato, Hip & Joint Care Pack ‘extra’ (Glucosamine 1000mg/kg, MSM 1000mg/kg, Chondroitin 700mg/kg), Carrot, Apple, Cranberry, Prebiotic MOS, Prebiotic FOS

Analytical Constituents Protein 25%, Fat Content 11%, Crude Fibres 3.7%, Inorganic Matter 8.5%, Moisture 8%, Omega-6 2%, Omega-3 1%

The analysis of the Burgess food you want to switch to is:

Ingredients: Rice (min. 26%), Salmon (min. 26%), Chicken Meal, Poultry Fat, Unmolested Beet Pulp (5%), Digest, Fish Oil (1%), Lucerce (1%), Dicalcium Phosphate, Limestone, Sodium Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides (0.2%), Yucca Extract (0.025%), Minerals // Protein 20%, Fat Content 10%, Crude Fibre 2.2%,

Provided that your dog can tolerate the high fish content I think it may work. The salmon though will almost certainly be from farmed salmon which are fed something like pellets with loads of unnatural ingredients, To save money, salmon farmers add bulking agents like poultry litter (that’s poop) and hydrolyzed chicken feathers to the feed

You have to change over incrementally (like 10 days).

For a recovery diet from a relapse I usually feed Peggy Royal Canin gastro-intestinal cans for 3 days. You need to buy that on line to keep it affordable. (zooplus, fetch, pet planet etc.)

NB: There has been an infection doing the rounds amongst the dog population this winter, usually within 3 days the dog recovers just fine.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

The allaboutdogfood website John F mentions is a useful resource. I am going to put in a good word for Autarky's white fish and potato: https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/1633/autarky-adult-grain-free

That is what I now feed Ken, who I moved onto a grain-free food after he was diagnosed with mucocutaneous lupus (an immune issue affecting the nail beds and nose) last summer. Autarky also do a grain free one with turkey and sweet potato, which we tried, but that didn't suit him so well.

The cheapest place to buy it is normally Feedem: https://www.feedem.co.uk/dog-c1/dog-food-c2/adult-dog-food-c4/autarky-adult-tasty-white-fish-potato-dog-food-12kg-p21535

I see they do the Burgess one too.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.