Ple Greyhound Questions

Guest ritamarino

Guest ritamarino

tbhounds - not cost, just the drill of taking him in a car for 90 minutes and then also having to switch to someone in NYC long term anyway. I just want a really good doctor. I was actually thinking maybe we could make a trip of it, stay there near Cornell for a day and then come back/schedule the surgery if possible the following day pending test results. If we are going to do it, then better not wait anymore.

Guest ritamarino

Tbhounds - saw some of your previous posts saying Buddsonide worked with your dog. How long did it take to kick in? We have had him for 10 days and seeing no improvement . Meanwhile he is looking really skinny though he has maintained his hunger before and after Budesonide. Vet said Bud may not work for him and that we could switch to Pred as long as we didn't do both the same day. I am worried that maybe he will slip too much if I keep him on Bud ; meanwhile he seems to have a little more bloating today. Really freaking out. Also seems that a little extra drinking and peeing has started almost 9 days after Budesonide. I was thinking of getting him Pred tomorrow, I have a rx for it. Or should I stay put? The stomach water is moving a lot which tells me maybe he has lost too much weight or is it more water - it's hard to say. He seems ok for the most part.

They are typically responsive to the budesonide however it all depends on the extend of the disease-what dose are you giving? Seeing those side effects (excessive drinking and urinating) usually is less with budesonide vs pred as the medication generally stays within the gut and does not effect them systematically like pred does. The weight loss (loss of muscle mass is from the pred.

If you feel the ascites (free fluid in the abdominal area) is worse he really should have blood work done to check his protein levels-he may need to be hospitalized to receive iv hetastarch. Bad things can happen with very low proteins.

Please have him rechecked with a boarded internal med vet. If you where considering Cornell now is the time.

Guest ritamarino

They are typically responsive to the budesonide however it all depends on the extend of the disease-what dose are you giving? Seeing those side effects (excessive drinking and urinating) usually is less with budesonide vs pred as the medication generally stays within the gut and does not effect them systematically like pred does. The weight loss (loss of muscle mass is from the pred.

If you feel the ascites (free fluid in the abdominal area) is worse he really should have blood work done to check his protein levels-he may need to be hospitalized to receive iv hetastarch. Bad things can happen with very low proteins.

Please have him rechecked with a boarded internal med vet. If you where considering Cornell now is the time.

Hi tbhounds - He is on Budesonide only, not PRED yet. I will talk to his vet today about switching to the Pred this week. His thought was BUD may not help him and it seems it hasn't done anything in 2 weeks. I may have misspoke about the fluid. I think the fluid is the same, the weight loss makes it more pronounced. I was trying to find out how long it took for BUD to help your pup and if he was ever on PRED.

Stools still soft but formed. New protein being introduced very very slowly. My husband is very reluctant to take him to Cornell with the 90 min drive but I think I would schedule phone consultations with them if possible. Is there a vet there you know or could recommend? Dont the response to ultra LF diet and the non response to Budesonide mean something clinically? I dont understand what the biopsy would do because it seems the meds are the same, and also it seems that he would need to get off the meds to restore his inflammation.. I dont think I want to take that risk right now. It seems Cornell does have options to do surgery laparoscopically - I wonder if they do phone consults/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ritamarino

BAD NEWS

He is still alive, but his albumen has fallen to 1.7 after 10 days Budespnide and 2 weeks Pred. The reason we went in was because of the pit edema in his back hocks. The vet is out of options and for now has prescribed cyclosporine 100 mg twice daily and trying Dexamethasone 2 mg injected. He says the pred shouldn't cause him to fall but he is saying that he is seeing other effects of pred in his blood. The reason we are giving him the injectable Dexamethasone is to see if his intestine is so inflamed that he cannot absorb it - though he also said that other results of pred were evident in blood work like liver numbers etc.

His edema in back feet is slowing him down and I guess the vet is concerned there will be sores soon and he will not be able to walk etc. obv we will not let him come to that. My mind is not totally here right now. Not sure if the consult with animal medical center next week makes any sense. Should I try and see a homeopathic Doctor? Anyone have any suggestions? Poop is progressively better he has had some good poop days - overall improved but he is getting a rapidly closing window to stabilize himself. Anyone have anything to share?