Gingival Coronal Advancement Flap

Yes... I know ... the title is a mouthful

It seems that this is a procedure that can be done on teeth that have some gum recession however, it can not be too much recession. It takes the existing gum and pulls it down over the exposed tooth root to give a longer life to the tooth.

Has anyone has this done for their dog's teeth and if yes, how did it go. There are stitches (dissolving) involved and since the gum takes time to heal, ONLY soft foods for a few weeks which is not a problem because Adam is on home-made food.

It looks like Adam has some recession on 3 of his teeth that this might help with and since he is only 7 1/2, I'm inclined to try the procedure. It only adds about 15 minutes to the total dental procedure.

I was told at the vet recently there is nothing they can do about gumline recession, so this would be interesting to research.

That was my impression also however, my vet told me that it was suitable for the amount of recession that Adam has. I'll let you know what happens - right now he is scheduled for mid April.