Any Experience With An External Fixator For A Broken Leg?

Guest tampagreymom

Guest tampagreymom

Just curious. I was taking my sweet girl to the park when my car was hit by someone who ran through a stop sign. My girl shattered her radius and ulna and had to have it surgically repaired at the local ER. They could not repair it with plates or screws internally and had to do pins with external fixator rings on the outside of the leg. She has been a real trooper through all this. If you have had experience with this, how was your grey's leg afterwards? Did they need rehab? Is it considered easier or harder on them instead of fixing it internally? I have never had a broken bone so this is all new to me. She is now 6 weeks post-accident and healing well according to the x-rays. Hoping to get the external fixator removed in a few weeks. Thanks for any advice.

no experience with dogs, BUT many years of experience with hairless apes and I personally would rather have an ex fix than plates and screws, the metal stays in, and especially with a pup the metal could cause rubbing issues. when the pins on the ex fix are removed all is gone. I would go easy for a while until the pin holes in the bone close in.

I don't have experience but I know there are some folks here who do. Hopefully they will stop by with useful tips. Best thoughts!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.