High Prey Tips

I basically did just that but it was still too late. I'd have to keep a constant stream of steak going in from the moment we leave the house and I bet once he spotted a deer it wouldn't matter. Once he is on the scent, he lights up and that is the end of Archer as we know him.

Guest MnMDogs

Are you saying his name and then treating? Macy was so far gone at first that she would spit out everything. We started with saying her name and treating throughout walks with or without distractions, and it took just a few days for her to get it. We got to the point that she would see the dog, cat, etc. and look to us for her treat.

We also found training her with a gentle leader was very helpful to keep her from pulling. We were able to go back to the collar after a bit. The harness just made her that much stronger.

Thanks MnMDogs. That's basically what I have tried. The gentle leader is an option I will consider.

What's interesting is that it's not a pulling issue. Once I stop moving, Archer doesn't pull. instead he leaps into the air, spins, etc. trying to get free. He's smart, he try to go backward if he thinks he can get free.

The most frustrating part is that Archer is an absolute dream on a leash when there is nothing to chase.

I'm sorry to sound unsympathetic, but I do find this quite funny. After the one of a kind Hester, it must be a rude shock to be dealing with all of these behaviours!

It will improve, but he really is just a puppy still. Mine improved in leaps and bounds after the age of three, when they grew brains, but for now, you just have to be consistent and patient.

Edited by Brandiandwe

Brandiandwe no need to apologize. I too find it funny.

There is the other side, Archer is very affectionate. He'll rub back and forth against your legs like a cat. He loves all contact with people. I can climb into his bed and he'll roach immediately for a better belly rub. After a year Hester would still growl at me if I didn't show proper deference to him. Archer also has impeccable behavior in the house, sleeps silently, nothing startles him, etc. etc. Almost the perfect dog. Almost.

Edited by KickReturn

Good advice from MNMDogs. Clicker training and a specific command (Heel, Settle, whatever you like; see Giselle's older posts about "Look at That" training) that you can click/treat for performing many times on the walk can speed things up a tad more. You want to do that a lot when there is no distraction at all and when he's not seriously exploring a scent -- in other words, set him up to succeed every time for a few weeks ..... My highest prey greyhound did learn to behave for the most part when he was on leash. He learned he was supposed to heel when asked, and he generally did unless the provocation was extreme :lol . It took awhile to get there.

I know some other folks who use the Gentle Leader with strong, at-times-unruly dogs. It seems to help a lot. I'm not sure how secure it is so you might need a second leash clipped to his harness and your belt.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You've gotten some good advice. Setting him up for success by teaching him to focus entirely on you (therefore not looking for prey) and redirection when needed will help a ton. I will say that one of the best things I have done with mine is to give them an outlet for appropriate prey and chase drive. I have a fenced area that they can hunt safely in and use lure poles there as well. I also run mine in lure coursing and have done ameateur racing. It gives them an appropriate outlet for their prey drive and helps them fulfill that need for a job. Because they get that fulfillment they are much more likely to give me what I want, which are pleasant walks. They still occasionally forget that I'm asking them to not go crazy on walks when they see prey but are much easier to calm down because they know they have a chance to fulfill that need at home or at an event. My primary breed now is an actual hunting breed, not a traditional coursing breed, so teaching them this can be super tricky since it is deeply ingrained in them to constantly be on the hunt (especially in deep cover). I understand the struggle with the lunging, bucking, jumping, etc. My primary breed ends up jumping over my head at lure trials and are notoriously difficult to slip dogs. Their good behavior on walks is NOT evident when we are going up to the lure to slip them. O.o Getting him good for walks is doable though so don't lose faith. :)

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

The scent part is the big challenge. Every lawn, and I mean every single one has rabbit and deer droppings on it. Deer pass on both sides of my house every day. The scent is omnipresent. This morning we turned into my driveway at the end of our walk to come face to face with four deer - maybe 15 or 20 feet away. Archer froze, the doe walked toward us for a greeting thinking it was Hester, and then reared up at about the 10 foot mark and ran off with the two yearlings and a fawn. Archer did OK mostly because I used the harness to keep his front feet off the ground. It would be some impressive training that would prevent a dog from reacting to this type of situation. This is a typical encounter in my neighborhood that will happen multiple times per day.

Edited by KickReturn

Update.

I have been using the Surefit Harness in combination with the Gentle Leader halti. The harness allows me to control the direction and position of Archer so that I can properly use the Gentle Leader to give correction and reward. We have just started this combination, and while Archer's behaviour hasn't yet changed, my control is better.

I tried with just the Gentle Leader and Archer would constantly adjust his body to any corrective action I took. I could turn his head in the direction I wanted but the rest of him would still go toward the prey. I would end up holding the leash, with him pulling backward toward the prey. This defeats the purpose of the Gentle Leader. But by using the harness to force his body to remain by my side and pointed in the direction we were walking, I could use the halti to bring his head off of the prey and then reward with a release of tension. This works as far as avoiding a wrestling match with the dog, but it still takes tremendous strength on the harness hand (and of course a delicate and deft touch with the halti leash).

I also did some experiments with high value treats. Zero success. Archer will refuse treats as soon as he arrives at a location where he has seen prey in the past, even if there is no prey present or any fresh scent of them, He remembers perfectly every place where he has either seen or smelled prey and goes into hunting mode as he approaches these areas.

Edited by KickReturn