Elbow Wound - Dogleggs For Amputees?

Guest asaccamora

Guest asaccamora

Buffy is a front leg amputee and has a pretty big wound on her other elbow (abut the size of a quarter). Its on the outside of her elbow and is thankfully not infected but is definitely healing slow. Its hard to scab over given location and stresses.

She has her 2nd chemo appt coming up in 10 days and I doubt the elbow heals by then and it likely is going to get worse before it gets better. Anyone have experiences with treating elbow wounds with doglegs on their amputees?

I like the dogleggs products. I've used the elbow sleeves for dogs with elbow hygromas. So far the clients I've recommended them to have had only good things to say.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest asaccamora

Is it a bedsore? If so you can try placing a wrist sweatband on. They are pretty cushionie and stretch allowing movement. Sometimes you need to have your dog wear a t-shirt to cover the area.

She came from Surgery with a scab. I think she fell post surgery. We have been t-shirting her but its a mixed bag since she constantly rubs the wound on the t-shirt and that makes it counter productive. We have been wrapping a surgical pad on the bottom, up from her forearm to elbow like a bouquet but leaving it open on the top. That helps to at least get some cushioning and the bed clean.

I like the dogleggs products. I've used the elbow sleeves for dogs with elbow hygromas. So far the clients I've recommended them to have had only good things to say.

She doesnt have a hygroma its more just a wound. I wasnt sure if the dogleggs would have the same problem as a t-shirt, rubbing and chafing.

Edited by asaccamora

Guest newyorkgrey

It took a month for my dog's elbow to heal recently. It was the size of a quarter, and the vets just left it open and bleeding a little when I refused to let them bandage over it any more. I took a photo of it each day and blew them up on the computer screen so I could see the progress better. This was a very deep pressure sore from being overly bandaged and it scabbed fully about 4 times at the part where her skin wrinkles the most. Unfortunately she had to wear a cone for the whole month. I let her out of it for a few minutes and she chewed at the scab. So, patience and fresh air. I used a little Veterinus Derma Gel though I honestly don't know it it did much. It is a glycol - so it is like a honey/sugar treatment. There is a thread about honey for wounds on this site also.

I honestly can't believe we made it to the other side. And this was from being rubbed for 5 months!

As long as you can keep your dog from chewing off the scab, it will definitely heal.

She doesnt have a hygroma its more just a wound. I wasnt sure if the dogleggs would have the same problem as a t-shirt, rubbing and chafing.

Yes, I realize that. I was just speaking to the experience I've had with them. Since they fit tightly, unlike a t-shirt, I suspect chaffing would be a lot less of an issue though it's probably possible.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!