New To Greyhounds! Educate Me :)

Guest DogsR4Life

And don't get me started on all the auctions for broken leg dogs where adoption groups are begging for tchotchkes to sell to sympathetic adopters to fund surgeries for dogs who broke a leg on the track, in racing school, on a farm, under the care of a trainer, etc. If that's not a rescue, then I don't know what it is. Why aren't the surgeries for those broken leg dogs paid by race owners 100% of the time?

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

squeal like babies if they stub a toe

hahahaha - SOOOOO true!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I think your home/lifestyle sounds perfect for a galgo.

I was thinking the same thing... greyhound would be workable but galgo might be a perfect fit!

Sharon, you're right. Xavi would be absolutely perfect for the OP's lifestyle. However, if one should be fortunate enough to end up with a dog like Iker, they would end up with a dog who doesn't really fit anybody's lifestyle :lol

Iker!!! hahahaha :beatheart :beatheart

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest sireltonsmom

Actually, they are very similar to a Doberman! That is what perked my attention :) Dobermans actually have Greyhound in their lineage and some of those traits show through:

Dobes are very sensitive, and need a totally different hand when training. They excel with gentle trainers, and if you ever raise your voice or show physical punishment, expect shut down Behavior for sure...or a bite.

Dobes are very intolerant to heat and cold, they need to be bundled up during cold months, and kept cool during hotter days.

Dobes are very thin skinned, so be aware of sun burn and thick brush/wooded areas.

Dobes are a stoic breed, get to know them or else you may not see early signs of troubled Behavior or medical problems.

Dobes are Velcro dogs and like to lean on you, or sleep on you, I saw that trait in a few Greyhounds :)

I have seen and been around greyhounds, both retired rescues and show bred ones, their similarities of a Doberman (minus the high energy and default protection traits) is what made me think I might open my heart to one in the future :)

I had Dobes before Greyhounds and the similarities rather than the differences drew me to greys. The Dobes had such a reputation (undeserved) that I couldn't fight city hall all the time. I like the idea someone had to fence in part of your vast property. You get the best of both worlds then. As long as your newbie and other doggies get along, life is good. Reputable groups make the introduction and often your dog will choose your grey - it's an interesting phenomenon. I read "Retired Racing Dogs for Dummies" before I got my first one. It was helpful for what to expect. I would recommend you look at bayareagreyhoundadoptions.org. While there are lots of good sites out there, this one is so interactive and easy to use. I loved reading all the positive things about having a greyhound. There are pics of my new boy Beau on there too. I feel required to comment that I am uncomfortable with recommendations to have a grey off leash when not in a fenced area. I respect each person's right to make that decision but I can't support it. Good luck and everyone here is ready to talk greyhound anytime :-).