Poll: Where Would You Confine A Hound Having Accidents?

Guest fenix916

Where to confine a dog having accidents when we're out?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What room should we confine our dog to while we're out if he's having accidents?

• The bedroom he sleeps in with us (dogs won't pee where they sleep and he's used to being confined in there at night?
    • The kitchen/dining room (open concept) - it'll be easier to clean and less to wreck
    • bathroom
    • screened in back porch
    • crate (even though he freaked out and escaped in the past)?

Guest fenix916

The crate doesn't seem to be an option because he escapes. Where do you think he'd handle being gated in best? The only place we really REALLY don't want him to pee our the rugs in the living room---anything else he might pee on can either go in the wash or be wiped down easy.

Guest Dancer

My boy has occasionally peed when we have left him... Seems sometimes he has anxiety when we are out. If we leave him in the bedroom (his safe place) he doesn't pee.

Guest sireltonsmom

Perhaps a bellyband might be a good idea. They usually stop when they feel them get damp. Your boy sounds like confining him makes him really anxious if he's breaking out of his crate. Is he being left too many hours, perhaps. Good luck.

Perhaps a bellyband might be a good idea. They usually stop when they feel them get damp. Your boy sounds like confining him makes him really anxious if he's breaking out of his crate. Is he being left too many hours, perhaps. Good luck.

agree, my 12 yr old has incontinence when she is sleeping sometimes. Putting a cloth dog diaper keeps everything dry including her. That being said, my situation is age related. You know your dog, where would he feel most comfortable? I used to gate off areas when mine were pups.

Just thought of this....There are pee pads with scent to attract dogs. Maybe one near a door he goes out might help.

Guest fenix916

Thanks all. Agree it's anxiety. We've only had him 8 weeks, but best we can tell it's really only the last couple weeks this has been an issue. He's only doing it on workdays RIGHT before I get home--ordinarily he pees right when we get home outside, but days he has accidents he won't pee or will barely pee when I get home--so we're assuming it's very close to when we get home (he has a midday dog walker). On weekends/days off, we haven't found accidents even after he's been alone for a comparable amount of time as a workday. Even in the morning when he goes out like twice in 75 minutes he'll pee. Most of these accidents have been near the front door, so we think he's waiting for us and getting anxious. Also our car has a loud exhaust (needs fixing) and I have noticed if my spouse is out with the car he thinks every loud car might be her coming home. As we live on a busy street, I could see him around 5 or 6pm hearing a loud car and thinking it's us and it's not.

Anyway, we're trying the bedroom because it's at the back of the house away from the street noise. Maybe being away from the noise will make him more anxious not less. The bedroom was easier to gate and we thought maybe it'd provide more opportunities to confine him for short periods when we weren't going out so it wouldn't feel punitive.

Also, though he gets fed in the dining room/kitchen, we decided he's not really in those rooms unless he's getting fed or watching us cook. The bedroom he'll go into with out us from time to time at least.

I'm ready to try the belly band if the confinement doesn't help.

Edited by fenix916