Sam Sleep Incontinence...

Guest kaotic1

Guest kaotic1

Hello,

Sam has had 2 UTIs in the last 3 months. First January 1st (Happy New Year!). Then he had another in March. After his UTI in March they tested his urine and it was free of infection. The first symptom I had in both cases was sleep incontinence. He was peeing a bit in his sleep. I thought the cause of the sleep incontinence was his UTI but I am wondering if it's the other way around now. He is still peeing in his sleep. I noticed it again today... So yes he goes back to the Vet for a check up... again.

This is the way I think it might be working... Sam pees in his sleep then he spends an excessive time licking himself when he wakes up (or merely the urine on him infects him) infecting himself causing a UTI.

Either way... any thoughts on the peeing in his sleep? I know Jordan was on Prion for the same issue but she was a girl... does Prion work for boys as well?

Jenn

Hi Jenn

I don't know how old Sam is but as they age they can become incontinent. My female on occasion has sleep incontinence, She where's a cloth doggie diaper with a pad inside to absorb. They make them for males, belly bands. Easy to use and comfortable or so she tells me :flip I don't know the answer to the Proin question.

The diapers are Brampton Simple solution, you could google it.

Has he had any kidney function tests lately?

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest kaotic1

Has he had any kidney function tests lately?

Yes he just had a full work up done in March. No issues. No UTI either.

Hi Jenn

I don't know how old Sam is but as they age they can become incontinent. My female on occasion has sleep incontinence, She where's a cloth doggie diaper with a pad inside to absorb. They make them for males, belly bands. Easy to use and comfortable or so she tells me :flip I don't know the answer to the Proin question.

The diapers are Brampton Simple solution, you could google it.

He is going to turn 10 in a few months. I think what I may do is put some washable puppy pads down over his bedding that way I don't have to put a belly band on him. He only seems to do this when he sleeps on his beds. When he sleeps on the floor he doesn't have this problem.

Guest kaotic1

Well it's official... Sam has another UTI and he is going on Proin to reduce his sleep incontinence. 3 UTIs in 4 months... is that a record? He is not a happy camper tonight. I had to wash all his beds so he looked at me like I was punishing him instead of helping him. Now that he has nice clean bedding? He is sleeping on the floor, of course!

Somewhere knocking around here is a thread I started about ongoing UTIs and an alternative regime to antibiotics. It's working quite well for Brandi in terms of settling her bladder inflammation and working on her nerves. It might be worth discussing with your vet.