Destructive Behavior When Alone

Guest lonny

Guest lonny

My 3.5 yo Grey, Ogee, was adopted in December 2013 and has been a delight (for the most part) but has had a real problem with the fact that she is left alone duing the work week for 4 hour stretches of time. Of course she trained me to make sure all food items were located WELL beyond her reach, but what I can't seem to resolve is her destructive behavior when left alone. I diagnosed separation anxiety and reluctantly started crating her, but she has destroyed two crates and I simply don't know how to handle things. I tried a holistic formula for "calming" anxious dogs but it wasn't well tolerated,so I've given that up. I sprayed lots of surfaces with "bitter apple" but only succeeded in getting my own fingers smeared with the nasty tasting stuff...

She does fine when with people or left with her canine friend, another greyhound, Sonic, but otherwise, I consistently find a real mess each time I arrive home and I would love to hear some suggetions!

Guest roweboy

I'm new at this, too, so I don't know if this will be any help. Our new grey was fine for about 3 weeks when we left the house and crated him (the crate is in our bedroom and he still sleeps there at night). Then he started getting very upset when put in it during the day. I didn't want this to be a bad experience/association with the crate.

Now we muzzle him when we leave which involves treats and kisses so he doesn't resent the muzzle, put a radio on, and give him "goodbye biscuits" (I also have goodnight biscuits, lol). He has the run of the house this way when we're gone. I don't make a lot of fuss when leaving and often leave and go back and forth, forgetting things before I'm finally gone. If I start to get the feeling he's looking for trouble while we're out, baby gates will be next to reduce his freedom. He never really knows when someone will be back. Dogs have no sense of time.

Perhaps you can spend a weekend leaving your dog for different lengths of time, and waiting unseen outside where you might be able to spy on her. Wait until she's doing something right and then go back in and reward her. Don't make a fuss about leaving or returning. Muzzle her. Leave music or tv on. Make sure she's been exercised, fed and relieved before leaving her. You may have tried all of this, but good luck! Maybe ultimately a behaviorist if you don't have success.

Guest DogNewbie

Hello!

Welcome to GT! Make sure to send us LOTS of pictures of your grey! We love pictures and it is the :rules !! When we first got Wiley, he would chew the door, desk or door frame if he was left alone so he was always crated when we were gone. If we were going to be gone all day, I would come home at lunch, BF would take him to work or he would go to "Doggie Day care" which worked our great and was only $14! Now he is fine by himself, but it did take 5 months there. Make sure you do lots of alone training and supply them with something to keep them busy in the crate, such as a PB/kibble stuffed Kong, stuffies, toys etc... We also leave the radio on to country, which is apparently the chosen station of race tracks. Other options are to have a dog walker/sitter come in at lunch (or a trusted neighbor) or maybe take him to family friends house who has a dog. Such as a stay-at-home mom?

Good luck with your houndie!! Welcome to GT!!

I'm new at this, too, so I don't know if this will be any help. Our new grey was fine for about 3 weeks when we left the house and crated him (the crate is in our bedroom and he still sleeps there at night). Then he started getting very upset when put in it during the day. I didn't want this to be a bad experience/association with the crate.

Now we muzzle him when we leave which involves treats and kisses so he doesn't resent the muzzle, put a radio on, and give him "goodbye biscuits" (I also have goodnight biscuits, lol). He has the run of the house this way when we're gone. I don't make a lot of fuss when leaving and often leave and go back and forth, forgetting things before I'm finally gone. If I start to get the feeling he's looking for trouble while we're out, baby gates will be next to reduce his freedom. He never really knows when someone will be back. Dogs have no sense of time.

Perhaps you can spend a weekend leaving your dog for different lengths of time, and waiting unseen outside where you might be able to spy on her. Wait until she's doing something right and then go back in and reward her. Don't make a fuss about leaving or returning. Muzzle her. Leave music or tv on. Make sure she's been exercised, fed and relieved before leaving her. You may have tried all of this, but good luck! Maybe ultimately a behaviorist if you don't have success.

Wiley gets "goodnight cookies" and "goodbye cookies" too!! :)