Switched Kibble -- Stool Now Too Firm?

When we moved up north, I slowly switched the hounds from Verus chicken/rice kibble (which is more expensive/scarce up here) to TOTW Pacific Stream. It seemed like a good time to change their protein source since they'd really only had Verus since we got them both (18 months and 12 months respectively). I was reticent to switch before because the Verus worked really, REALLY well for both.

[incidentally, I'm a noob over here on the food threads, but there seem to be two schools of thought: 1) switch up the protein source every once in a while vs. 2) if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At least among those who feed kibble as opposed to raw or fresh. Is there any consensus on this?]

Anyway, the transition from Verus to TOTW lasted about 12 days as I weaned them off by a half-cup every 4 days or so. They were fine during the transition, and now that they're 100% TOTW, Kali is doing great, maybe even better than before. Brooks, on the other hand, immediately started having to strain much harder as soon as he was 100% TOTW. Over the first 18 months we had him, we were used to light brown, barrel-sized, ripe banana-like poos -- never overly mucousy, appearing very healthy, and a pretty significant daily amount! Since going 100% TOTW about 10 days ago, his first stool after any meal is a bit darker and much more pebbly, about the size and shape of about five or six double-sized almonds. Another difference is that, on a long walk (2.5 or 3 miles every mid-morning), I'm used to him having a second or third (or fourth!) poo that eventually looks like barely-digested breakfast, but it's now rare for him to have more than two stops on a walk and the overall amount pales in comparison to what he used to produce.

What's the best way to help Brooks here? He does seem to be straining. I've thought about a few solutions: adding a 1/2 cup of wet TOTW from a can (non-fish based) every fourth meal or so, increasing fish oil, or adding turkey necks to their diet (which, according to the current turkey neck thread on the first page, apparently creates diarrhea for some -- so perhaps on the balance that might lubricate things for Brooks). I could always put him back on Verus or switch up his TOTW to another protein. I'm less inclined to go back to Verus because I actually think he was producing TOO MUCH stool on that food, which wasn't low-ingredient and used chicken meal.

I know I should count my blessings that we're not talking about the Big D! But I'm still a little worried.

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

I'm on the side of if it ain't broke, don't fix it because it took me months after adopting Annie to find something that worked well... not perfectly but but better than pudding (and that is... ta da .... Iams in Green Bag).

As far as Brooks pooing less, it's probably because TOTW is being digested better than the previous food, thus more being retained by his body, so less output.

Now for what you really want to know: How to loosen up his poo so he isn't straining. Is he drinking enough water? Dehydration can cause constipation. I put water in Annie's kibble with each meal to slow her eating down a bit and to help add water to her diet. Maybe Brooks needs more fiber in his diet. Plain pumpkin, recommended to help diarrhea, is also recommended for constipation. A couple of tablespoons of bran a day may also work, but be careful not to use too much, or use both, so as to avoid going the other way! Good luck.

I had the same problem with Frannie.

I had switched her over to Taste of the Wild because I had read

that it is one of the better kibble's to give a cancer dog.

Started with High Prairie - good for a couple days and then the straining

and crying while trying to poop started.

Went to Pacific Stream - same thing, good for a couple days and then the

straining again.

Then went to the Sierra Mountain and she's been fine with that.

A lot of greys don't do well on a lamb base but it's working for her.

Guest WhiteWave

You could add some fiber. I use psylium powder over my guys food. It keeps keep things moving. But you need to wet the kibble when adding the psylium powder. I usually add some can food too.