Nexgard For Fleas And Ticks

Has anyone heard of this product by Merial? It is a chewable, once a month dosage, which kills fleas and ticks without a need to use a spot on topical. I was talking to my vet today who said it is a good product and safe to use. Just wondering if anyone knows of it. It isn't cheap.

Guest rarmstrong

Has anyone heard of this product by Merial? It is a chewable, once a month dosage, which kills fleas and ticks without a need to use a spot on topical. I was talking to my vet today who said it is a good product and safe to use. Just wondering if anyone knows of it. It isn't cheap.

I've heard of it. My vet just suggested it on Wednesday. Im going to try it this month with Willis. He's not a fan of topical treatments

Edited by rarmstrong

A comment from a local grey-savvy vet when a local adopter asked about Nexgard:

My only concern about nexguard is that the tick label is 48 hours. Some tick diseases only require 4 hours for disease transmission. It may kill ticks but not prevent tick borne diseases. There will be more label additions coming I am sure but that is what we know so far. Never used the Bayer collar. Best in tick disease prevention is preventic collar then topical pyrethrins. Nexguard may be good on fleas but initial pricing indicates will be more expensive then trifexis.

The "official" statement says this:

In well-controlled laboratory studies, NEXGARD demonstrated >97% effectiveness against Dermacentor variabilis, 48 hours post-infestation for 30 days.

If I'm reading this right, it doesn't kick in against fleas for 48 hours, then is effective for 30 days. This means, I think (someone correct me if I've got it wrong), that the first dose might not immediately be effective against ticks, but your dog should be protected by future doses as long as you're not late with the dose.

Of more concern to me, the labeling says it kills the American Dog Tick (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and tularemia) but doesn't mention other ticks--blacklegged tick (anaplasmosis and babesia), lone star tick (erlichia), etc.--the TBDs that are more prevalent in my neck of the woods. A review on DVM Magazine says:

D. variabilis, the tick species controlled by NexGard, can transmit the organisms responsible for Rocky Mountain spotted fever (Rickettsia rickettsii), tularemia (Francella tularensis) and cytauxzoonosis (Cytauxzoon felis), according to parasitologist Michael Dryden, DVM, PhD. Dermacentor species can also cause tick paralysis.

All sites warn about using with caution in dogs that have a history of seizures, but I'm pretty sure that's a standard caution that accompanies all flea/tick preventatives.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)