Training Newly Adopted Greyhounds.

Guest Lillypad

Kathleeen Gilley's article 'No Fear, No Pain' is justly famous on Greytalk, but it's always worth posting again from time to time, because there are always new people on the forums who may not have seen it yet. :thumbs-up

It is a wonderful explanation of how easily things can go wrong between new dog and new owner leaving both bewildered. It gives new owners a real insight into what the poor dog may be feeling and is well worth reading by any new adopter, especially those in the US and Canada. In England things are done differently in the racing business (they are not routinely crated alone, and they do not live at the track, for instance) but it is still worth reading.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't yet read it to follow the link and do so. Even if you've had your hound for a while and all is going well. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lillypad

Hi Silverfish, I tried to find more information on Kathleen Gilley but found little. I did find the thread here on Greytalk about her untimely death, so very sad. She was well loved and it is clear her passing is a great loss for greyhound advocation. I really wish I could see video of her performances with her Dancing Greyhound Troupe, but unfortunately I can't link to anything on line. If you know of anything, I would love to follow up. Thanks

The shortened excerpt of this seminar is excellent and very helpful for folks to understand about previous kennel life of Greys. Shortened excerpt: http://www.northerngreyhoundrescue.org.uk/page_1501563.html

However, in contrast, the aversive training techniques in K. Gillie's longer article (in first post) were popular many decades ago, but are far outdated now. The American Society of Veterinary Behaviorists, and other U.S. veterinary and professional canine behavior organizations have taken a stand against those dangerous methods. Those techniques proved to increase aggression, arousal, and fear in dogs. They are dangerous for humans and can permanently damage the relationship between domestic pet dogs and humans. Anger begets anger. Aggression begets aggression.

The Animal Behavior Resources Institute article: http://abrionline.org/article.php?id=254

(There are many, many more cases of proved aggression towards humans not included in this study.)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest Lillypad

Thanks,3greytjoys, understand exactly what you are suggesting and agree her techniques are outdated. I wish I would have found the excerpt first. Here is my comment as per the original post.

My main thought for posting this article was more for the explanation of the routine life racing greyhounds have pre-adoption, rather than the training methods. Because of a greyhound 's racing background, Isn't it fair to say this is something to keep in mind when puzzled over the root of their behavior in a home environment?

Also, I agree, 100 percent positive reinforcement is the most productive form of training.

Still would love to see video of her dancing troupe.

Edited by Lillypad

Here is my comment as per the original post.

My main thought for posting this article was more for the explanation of the routine life racing greyhounds have pre-adoption, rather than the training methods. Because of a greyhound 's racing background, Isn't it fair to say this is something to keep in mind when puzzled over the root of their behavior in a home environment?

Thank you for adding your comment to this thread also. I understand and completely agree with you about the more currently shared "shortened version" about racing kennel life. :) The "short version" is frequently offered to new adopters by some GH adoption groups. It is excellent, so informative and helpful for adopters to learn about their greyt new family members' unique racing kennel life.

I just wanted to help new readers (of this thread) understand those old training methods are not recommended in today's world. Sadly, many of us saw extremely negative results caused by those old aversive training techniques that affected many dogs (and humans they encountered) for a long time, often lasting dogs' entire lifetime.

I agree with you. The dogs of today who are trained with positive, reward-based methods are much better off, as are their families. Helping dogs learn through positive, fun, and understanding behavior with gentle kindness is mirrored back to us tenfold+, especially with our wonderfully sensitive Greyhound breed. :) Thank you for posting.

Guest Lillypad

3greytjoys, Yes so thankful we have "seen the light" regarding canine training and behavior. I will admit (head hanging low) to using the spray bottle, but have since been enlightened.

I agree that I don't use any of the techniques in that article, but what does stick in my mind is... threatening your dogs with being "cinnamon sugared and eaten for breakfast" or "walked across a wet lawn"... I think of those quotes often. She is a great writer, even if her training methods aren't up to current methods.

I too, would love to see a video of Gilley's dancing Greyhounds. If such a video exists, it would be great to see. I've searched high and low and can't find one.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir