Renal Diets

Guest Alichou

Guest Alichou

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any good home prepared renal diets they can share? I've gotten a few from our vet however they don't indicate feeding guidelines. I have a 13.5 year old grey who has mild indications of kidney disease and even though I have him on Hills prescription diet k/d soft food, he doesnt really like it. I cant get him to eat the hard kibble version (he has no teeth). Ive got some great recipes that consist of a variety of foods such as egg/chicken/groundbeef with white long grain rice among other ingredients but there are no guidelines to tell me how much he should be getting per day. I am just starting to research kidney disease and home prepared diets so any help or experience is much appreciated.

Alison

Guest Alichou

Thanks guys. RedHead yes, if not too much trouble and when convenient please pm me the diet. I have Monica Segal's book and I also have a vetrinary book with recipes in it. Im waiting for my vet to call me on the weekend (he is out of office until then) respecting feeding guidelines. The recipe in the vet book calls for 4 cups pf potatoes cooked in skin, two ounces of chicken breast among other ingredients, but of course it doesnt tell me if the recipe is for a daily intake or per feeding. Ive decided to feed 4 ounces of chicken breast (2 ounces per feeding) daily mixed with the potatoes and soft k/d food in the meantime. Any rcipes you can provide in the meantime is much appreciated. I have a very picky little eater.

If he has only mild indications of kidney disease -- e.g., just slightly elevated BUN or creatinine -- he probably won't benefit from a kidney diet at all. Feed him what he'll eat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Alichou

BUN is 4.8 and Creatinine is 187. These are the most recent test results. In december, creatinine was 250 and bun much higher however a month on soft canned k/d it went back down to the 4.8 and 187.

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any good home prepared renal diets they can share? I've gotten a few from our vet however they don't indicate feeding guidelines. I have a 13.5 year old grey who has mild indications of kidney disease and even though I have him on Hills prescription diet k/d soft food, he doesnt really like it. I cant get him to eat the hard kibble version (he has no teeth). Ive got some great recipes that consist of a variety of foods such as egg/chicken/groundbeef with white long grain rice among other ingredients but there are no guidelines to tell me how much he should be getting per day. I am just starting to research kidney disease and home prepared diets so any help or experience is much appreciated.

Alison

join K9kideys yahoo group for recipes so you don't guess as to what the dog needs

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg