Raw Food, Greyhound Bloggers.

Guest Lillypad

Guest Lillypad

Hi, I have been feeding my greyhound a raw dog food diet for over 6 months. I am, so far, pleased with the results. I did a tremendous amount of research before switching from kibble and still take every opportunity to learn what ever I can. I am hoping to find greyhound bloggers that feed their dogs a raw diet. Can members suggest some blogs to follow. I have found "Rrrrrrr Raw" and "Never Say Never" and they have been helpful. Thanks very much, Janette and Lilly

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lillypad

Thanks for replying, I will check your blog for photos and any information regarding raw. Love your photos of Sunshine playing in the snow.. did it occur to you that if you scroll down the photos continuously she looks like she is moving, it is quite cute. She looks happy and healthy, so raw must be complimenting her well. I am trying to feed whole prey method, meaning large chunks as natural as possible, no ground, no plant or grain matter. Although I have done a great deal of research I would love to learn from greyhound specific raw feeders. Lilly is my first greyhound and my first experience with feeding a raw diet. I fed kibble for about a year, but it just didn't sit right with me. She had gastro-intestinal issues constantly. Although we have not had any negative experiences, I still need to build confidence. My vet and all vets in my area for that matter do not encourage raw feeding, so I feel I am going it alone. Any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Janette and Lilly

We follow the prey model diet also. It takes a lot for a vet to actually get info about what we feed anymore. I've been berated way too many times, then I have to find a new vet when I figure out what an idiot that one is, etc. It's a viscous cycle! LOL They don't know enough about nutrition to really be much help anyways. If you're concerned you may want to seek out a canine nutritionist. I've always just researched on my own and done what seemed right for my dogs. If something seems off I try to adjust. We don't get too crazy about it and so far they are thriving! If you have any questions, just let us know and I can give you my version of an answer, which may be different from other's answers. :) I'm far from an expert.

Our current vet didn't know until year #2. She kept commenting on their teeth being so great and told us to keep brushing them. I replied with "oh we are far too lazy to brush teeth in this household!" with a laugh. The vet just looked at me strangely and said "Well just keep doing what your doing"

The next year the Vet asked flat out what I did for their teeth. She must have made a note in the file to follow up... :flip I asked her if she wanted the truth? Then told her that we feed a raw diet and follow the prey model guidelines. This vet never made me feel bad. She said my dogs looked awesome and at this rate they will never need a dental. Keep doing what you're doing! We love this vet! She has great bedside manner and has been around the block enough to know that one solution doesn't always work for each dog. I always get treatment options and she talks me though the pros and cons of each one.

ETA. Now I'm going to have to scroll on that post and watch her pictures move! LOL

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

No advice on the blogs, but there are some other Kingston area people on here who feed raw from RawDogFeed. http://www.rawdogfeed.com/. It is ground, but also contains tripe, heart, and other organs that you can't get from the grocery store. I find ground mixes (locally made ones, not the nasty petstore ones) to be a convenient way to feed those ingredients in combination with meaty bones for chewing. I have fed raw for around 15 years to multiple dogs and the trends have changed so much over the years. My advice would be to go with what works, and don't necessarily listen to some of the militant raw people and their "rules." My dogs have eaten different versions of the diet, depending on their needs. Anyways, won't bore you with info, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have a ton of resources and info gathered up and am always happy to help :)

Edited by RedHead

Guest Lillypad

Thanks RedHead, I actually do purchase from Rawdogfeed in Battersea. I was introduced to this product by Battersea Brindles who feeds her greys this product. I like their product for sure, but also want to feed various types of meats. I would love a little more detail about the actual content and ratio of this product, although the folks there are great they are rather vague about that. Lilly "wolfs: the ground meat down in seconds (and I mean seconds) then looks to me "Ok where is the rest" it seems it is too easy to consume and she gets no satisfaction. I do on occasion feed it frozen or slightly frozen and this of course slows her down somewhat. I like the idea of BIG chunks of meat, I have watched her eat this way and the chewing, tearing, and scissoring she uses is a joy to watch, you can tell she is in doggie heaven. About rules, I pick and choose what works for us, if it seems logical to me I am open to ideas and suggestions. My main concern is that she get a good balance of nutrition. I like to talk to folks that have fed raw for years and learn of their results. In my mind, "time" is the proof of success or failure. Having said that, your 15 years of experience is exactly what I am hoping to learn from. (At the risk of sounding stupid what does "PM" mean and how do I do that?) Would you mind sharing your sources for raw food? Regarding your suggestion "go with what works" that is just it, I am not sure what is working exactly.... her stools are always questionable, she seem to be insatiable (feeding 1-1/2 to 2 pounds per day), her coat is so-so, people will ask, " how is her energy level" .... well you know how difficult that is to answer when you own a greyhound... they are the epitome of lethargy. Mind you we have only been at this since August at which time I was feeding the ground product combined with kibble, only since November have I stopped the kibble mix and feed only proteins, I have not fed fruits or veggies. I add a fish oil supplement and at present adding "Missing Link" supplement to her meal. That about sums up my experience with raw. So thank you and JAJ2010 for your offers of help. I will no doubt take you up on those offers. And one more thing, regarding vets, my vet is SO against feeding RAW he alluded to that fact that he could refuse to treat my dog, and as he is the vet who runs the emergency hospital here in Kingston, my biggest fear is that I may have to use him one day for a gastro-intestinal emergency. Case in point.. last week Lilly swallowed a piece of meat (round because she chewed it into a ball of sorts about the size of a soft ball) whole, yelped and looked terribly uncomfortable for hours after. I was so anxious she may bloat, all the while thinking if I have to take her in to emerg, this guy is going to look down his nose and think... I told you so, see what harm feeding raw can do ... and then of course there is the whole other "idea" of bones causing gut and bowel trauma. I hope that these are just concerns of a "novice" and will pass as I gain more confidence, but it doesn't help when you have so many "professionals" vying against you. Even my sister, who is a Vet Tech. LOL Thanks so much for your reply, regards Janette and Lilly.

I do 10% organ meat (5% of that liver)

80% muscle meat and 10% bone is our starting point and changed from dog to dog depending on poops. :) Rainy needs more bone than Sunshine to have perfect poops. But strangely over the past year Rainy has needed less bone in her diet. Maybe something to do with getting older?

------

Jessica

Guest Lillypad

Brandiandwe, It looks like the link I provided does not go to the site I am talking about. I have been reading at this forum Raw feeding Basics, Food and dietary discussion, started by greyhound9797 on Novemember 4, 2009, hope you can find it. It has an old post date but the information provided is untimely.