First Day Of Agility Course!

Guest DogNewbie

So one of the dog training groups (non- AAC or agility specific) offers a beginner agility course on Tuesday nights. I was thinking of joining that and then doing the other course on Wednesday. I thought that was Wiley would get more exposure. Do you think that is too much? Will he be over whelmed?

I'd probably stick to once a week until he becomes more comfortable, but I'd probably check out the other course and see if it is more appropriate for Wiley.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest DogNewbie

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I think I will just stick with the one class for now.

We had our second class today and it was GREAT!! There 9 people/dogs in our group that showed up and we split into 2 mini groups so there were only 4 in our group. Wiley was way better! He actually did a few zoomies at the beginning! He laid down for me several times and it looked like he was having fun! He did some jumps and laid down on this table thingy.

More updates to come next week! Thanks for the advice! I am really enjoying myself :)

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I think I will just stick with the one class for now.

We had our second class today and it was GREAT!! There 9 people/dogs in our group that showed up and we split into 2 mini groups so there were only 4 in our group. Wiley was way better! He actually did a few zoomies at the beginning! He laid down for me several times and it looked like he was having fun! He did some jumps and laid down on this table thingy.

More updates to come next week! Thanks for the advice! I am really enjoying myself :)

Very cool that you are doing this with Wiley! We want to start agility with Bubba too, once we work on his basic manners a little more. Perhaps in the spring.

Look forward to chatting about agility classes with you in the future! :flip

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest DogNewbie

Thanks! I think I am enjoying it more that he is. On Wednesday, we had our 3rd class which was mainly tunnel and he DID NOT want to do it. Haha I don't really blame him. We will get there, I am supposed to teach him to crawl as he is to tall for it. Apparently it is standard AAC size and Great Danes do it so we will keep practicing! He was a lot more nervous again this time. I'm not sure why. Hopefully, he will start enjoying himself :)

He doesn't need to crawl. He'll learn to crouch down to do it. My dogs both do the tunnel full speed. They just duck their heads down, bend their elbows a bit, and rocket right on through.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks Krissy! Did you teach them that or did they just figure it out on their own?

They figure it out.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Giselle

How is your instructor teaching the tunnel? The easiest and funnest way is to break it down:

1) Smush the tunnel down to the smallest it can go. Typically, 12-15' tunnels can smush down to 1 foot long.

2) Encourage the dog to poke his nose through to get a treat. Practice 10-15 times. Then, encourage him to poke his whole head through. Practice 10-15 times. Then, toss a treat and encourage him to run through. Practice this many times until he offers to run through on his own (without needing you to toss a treat). Once you get to this point...

3) Slowly lengthen the tunnel. Start with a 2 feet long tunnel. Then, go to 5 feet. Then, curve the tunnel. And voila! Your dog is a tunnel master.

The first time Bu went through a tunnel, he stopped halfway and took a nap. We had to collapse the tunnel to get him out.

He crouches through. He recently tried to back in after he was almost out. He couldn't quite do it, but it was funny to see him try.

Sailor won't get within a foot of a tunnel, squished or spread out. I wanted to do agility with him, but he's afraid of the tunnel, the weave poles are too close together for him to walk through (at 24" apart), all ramps and platforms are not happening. I can't imagine his reaction to the teeter. I think he'd have a heart attack.

Every dog likes different things more than others. You just need to keep happy and find what works for your dog.