When Can I Wash Off Advantix Ii?

I treated Atticus with Advantix II yesterday. It obviously irritates his skin and after a day he tries to rub it off on our furniture. I used to use Fronline but I found a flea on him a month ago and even though we had lapsed in his flea treatments I switched on the off-chance he was hosting Frontline-resistant fleas.

When can I wash it off without compromising the flea medication? Frontline said to wait 48 hours before bathing but the instrux for Advantix don't say. It just says that it's effective within 12 hours. I hate for him to suffer but since he did have fleas I'm afraid to wash it off too soon, even though after a month we've seen no sign of fleas. It's been 24 hours. Maybe I should just wash it off.

Any recommendations for flea meds? He didn't have any problems with Frontline so maybe I should just go back to that.

Many dogs react to the tingling sensation when it is applied. This happened to Summit the first time I used it on him (but not on any other application interestingly enough). I contacted the company and they suggested applying it with a Vitamin E capsule which helped to reduce the odd sensation.

So if you don't want to wash it off just yet (we recommend 48 hours after application of topical medications) you could try breaking a Vitamin E capsule and applying the oil to the same places where you applied the Advantix. That might help for the next 24 hours.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I didn't know it tingled! Thank you -- do they ALL tingle?

Most of them probably do have a sensation. I think I was told the reason was because of the alcohol base (mind you this was a few years ago so I could be wrong about it being alcohol), and I would imagine that most of them have a similar base. However, they did say that of their products (Advantage, Advantage Multi, and Advantix) that the Advantix has the greatest incidence of these "reactions" (dogs itchy or uncomfortable).

I'm sure you can call the company for more information. As I said, this was a few years ago so I forget the details. I stored away "Tingles, use Vitamin E" and the rest sort of became a vague, fuzzy recollection.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Bathing the dog with anything that "washes off" the Advantix will also decrease the effectiveness. Using a non-detergent shampoo (like oatmeal-based shampoos) after the first 2-3 days will have less of an effect.

The concern about cats seems to come up every time K9 Advantix is mentioned here. It's only a problem if the cat eats it or grooms it off the dogs at the application site while it's still wet, or if it is actually applied to the cat. Casual contact and sharing beds isn't a problem.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Could just be the itchies from the hair/skin *feeling* different there until the hair no longer feels oily/stiff in that location. For my dogs, a nice scritch around the edges of that area seems to help.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.