Question For Raw Food Feeders

Guest LauraB

Guest LauraB

Hello, I've been feeding Dillard raw for over a year and he is terrific. A friend just gave me lots of venison including parts of the spine and vertebrae.

Are spine and vertebrae ok? Is there an issue with prions? Do I need to freeze the venison for a few weeks before I feed him? How about lungs, kidneys, liver, heart etc.?

I appreciate help.

Laura

Lucky Dillard! The girls are very careful chewers so I don't usually worry much about bones. I've gotten deer spines not cut up and usually just drag it out into the backyard and let them have fun for a few hours. Then wash them off since they are both usually tinted red. They have so much fun! I usually try to deep freeze for a few weeks before feeding, but am not paranoid about it, so not all gets done. All the organs are good to go too. Just be careful about amounts. They can caught loose poops.

------

Jessica

Guest LauraB

Thanks Jessica,

Do you count this as a meal?

I have been reading about prions and the wasting decease in deer. I'm pretty sure the spine is ok because there

haven't been any cases in the NE in 3 years.

Laura

I usually do count it as a meal. Depending on how much meat is on the bones, I also might add in some muscle meat. There haven't been any recent cases of wasting disease around here either so I don't really worry to much about it. I grew up on hunted venison.

------

Jessica

Guest LauraB

I have a bag of leg bones with very little meat. They are very long. Are leg bones ok? I have very meaty ribs which he loves, but I never had leg bones.

Hunting season is coming and Dillard will have much more.

Is Dillard a heavy chewer? Weight bearing bones can crack teeth and some people avoid them. My girls are pretty safe and will stop chewing if it's too hard so I give them... They actually crack them and get the marrow out.

It just boils down to knowing your risks with raw feeding whole peices and accepting them

------

Jessica

I'm not going to try the leg bone. He has enough with just the meaty bones. I'll put them way out in the woods for the coyotes.

Thanks for your help Jessica.