Dangers Of Eating Cat Vomit...?

Guest Clawsandpaws

Guest Clawsandpaws

So my cat has IBD among some other issues, and vomits occasionally. I usually can control this (meaning she vomits once a week as opposed to almost every other day that she used to) by structured feeding times and limiting the amount she eats at a time (she is also on a special diet, meds, etc) lately I have noticed dried up areas on my linoleum that looked like it could have been dried up vomit. I never thought about it, thinking that the bf just cleaned it up poorly. Today she threw up and I saw that Dudley immediately and decisively moved in for the snack. I had to leash him/leave it command to keep him away while I cleaned it up. Dudley has eaten her vomit before I could stop him, but today when he did it, the bf said "I usually just let him lap it up" OKAY. So that's what the dried up areas are. Great. Obviously gave the bf a lecture, BUT how dangerous is it for him to eat the vomit? I know he will do it if she vomits when I am not home... He has free range of the apt and I cannot separate him from her, but I could crate him if it was absolutely necessary (but it would have to be a last resort, he hates the crate and sometimes freaks out, and in reality I do not want to do this at all)

I know IBD could be caused by bacteria, is bacteria in the vomit? I know we have some greyt vets on here. I'm embarrassed to call my vet and ask! I know he cannot do it that often, she usually only vomits after right after a meal, and I feed her an hour before I leave for work, and have never noticed a vomit trace on the floor except for about once a month. That does not seem like enough to make a 75 lb grey sick...? I hope :(

Ewww... :puke Dogs can be so gross! I have no idea, but I doubt eating that would make him sick, although I have NO idea what makes it appealing to them. lol Along with licking their own butts, eating all kinds of nasty things, and drinking puddle or pond water, I am guessing eating vomit is just another gross things dogs can do that usually has no ill effects :)

Guest Clawsandpaws

Ewww... :puke Dogs can be so gross! I have no idea, but I doubt eating that would make him sick, although I have NO idea what makes it appealing to them. lol Along with licking their own butts, eating all kinds of nasty things, and drinking puddle or pond water, I am guessing eating vomit is just another gross things dogs can do that usually has no ill effects :)

Lol, I think he likes it because it's mostly undigested. Cat food is nice and smelly!!!!

Guest Clawsandpaws

Cat puke is a delicacy in our house. They hoover it up like there's no tomorrow! Unless your cat is vomiting up his meds, it's probably not a big deal. Can't be any worse than cat poop.

She is pretty much just on metronidizale right now anyways, and I have never seen a pill, just food and a hair ball. She gets her pill before I go to bed, as we lock her out of the bedroom at night, so Dudley wouldn't have access to the delicacies at night anyways.

I will ask my vet on Monday anyways, just to be safe.