He Attacked A Puppy. What Do I Do?

Guest Angelav

Guest Giselle

Angela, we are providing advice that we hope will help prevent injuries in the future. It may seem blunt, but, in our eyes and in our experiences, this could be the spark of more injurious behavior down the line. I really hope that Banner gets training. Like I said, I've been in my fair share of dog fights, and I know what a terrible ugly legal battle it can be. It is so incredibly lucky that the puppy's owners were so forgiving, but a lot of folks are not. Please find the help of a professional trainer/behaviorist to help you better understand and change Banner's behaviors.

Guest Angelav

Giselle, again I am completely aware that action should be taken. There is blunt and then there is rude. I am looking into trainers, a different leash, and anything else that might help him. Might I give unsolicited advice: when someone joins a group for help, you should help, not condemn. People who are on their way to seek others help have already admitted they have done wrong and are aware of the legal ramifications. Especially if this person is a lawyer.

Thank you again for your advice. I will do what is best for our dog, ourselves and the general public (which probably includes a dog trainer). Have a lovely evening.

EO's Jogmo was the MOST high prey dog I've ever known. I fostered him. He nearly killed my Cocker spaniel (he was muzzled, got her down and bashed her) and almost dislocated my arm when I tried to leash walk him after he was neutered. I begged a good friend and talented young dog trainer to foster him, to see if we could make him adoptable. She renamed him Travis (a/k/a Never Expected).

Take a look at his story:

http://www.neversaynevergreyhounds.net/travis.html

The Jigmo/Travis story is the all-time BEST example of right dog/right home and also what can be done to overcome challenging behavior issues.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

EO's Jogmo was the MOST high prey dog I've ever known. I fostered him. He nearly killed my Cocker spaniel (he was muzzled, got her down and bashed her) and almost dislocated my arm when I tried to leash walk him after he was neutered. I begged a good friend and talented young dog trainer to foster him, to see if we could make him adoptable. She renamed him Travis (a/k/a Never Expected).

Take a look at his story:

http://www.neversaynevergreyhounds.net/travis.html

The Jigmo/Travis story is the all-time BEST example of right dog/right home and also what can be done to overcome challenging behavior issues.

Holy craponastick! You fostered Travis? I feel like you are the luckiest and unluckiest person all at the same time! Lucky because he sounds like an incredible dog and it would be amazing to get to even meet a dog like him. Unlucky because you had him before Jen. Lol! That's seriously a really neat tidbit of info though! End hijack.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Holy craponastick! You fostered Travis? I feel like you are the luckiest and unluckiest person all at the same time! Lucky because he sounds like an incredible dog and it would be amazing to get to even meet a dog like him. Unlucky because you had him before Jen. Lol! That's seriously a really neat tidbit of info though! End hijack.

Travis was one of the first 21 dogs that started our odyssey of running a greyhound adoption program @ JCKC. I did an article about it for Celebrating Greyhounds back then and the photo they used was me with Jigmo/Travis. I BEGGED Jen to take him because I just couldn't handle him and the other umpty-scrunch fosters I had at that time (I can't remember how many "extra" dogs we had then). She eventually said she might adopt him (because she was afraid to place him with anybody else), but couldn't fit another crate in her van and he'd have to be crated when she went to trials. (This was before she and Stephen were married, or had even met.) I made a deal with her... if she'd adopt him, I'd give her one of my 3 "special" 23-inch wide crates (they were only made for a short time), which would fit in her van. She could put one of her girls in it and Travis in one of her larger crates. She said, "Done deal!"

After Jen had him for about 6 months, I took him for a vet visit to U Auburn (he had a toe issue we wanted Dr. Gillette to look at and I was taking one of my dogs there). I held him in the waiting room, while people kept coming in/out with various little fluffy dogs, cats, etc. It was challenging, but he was SO MUCH better than when I had him!

I absolutely adored Jigmo/Travis, but knew I was not able to give him what he needed at that time. He was one of the most gorgeous dogs I ever saw. When I look at Jen's pages about him and watch his videos, I cry every time. Right dog/right home!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Welcome to the forum. Please don't take things too personal. You must remember many people on this board have been around greyhounds for a long time and speak through experience. And as this is a public forum and someone asks for advice, they are going to be truthful and to the point.

Our Cordal is prey drive here. I say here because when we are at Dewey she is fine with all dogs. I think it's just that she doesn't know where to look - there are so many dogs!

When we walk her in the park where there are always lots of dogs, squirrels and other critters I wear the Wiggles, Wags & Whiskers harness AND her martingale collar. I use a two-ended leash and hook on end to the collar and one end to the harness. If she gets over excited I can control her with both. It makes the walk much easier and she never quite gets as wound us as when walking her with just the collar or the harness.

Just a thought but it works for us :)

Liz

Travis was one of the first 21 dogs that started our odyssey of running a greyhound adoption program @ JCKC. I did an article about it for Celebrating Greyhounds back then and the photo they used was me with Jigmo/Travis. I BEGGED Jen to take him because I just couldn't handle him and the other umpty-scrunch fosters I had at that time (I can't remember how many "extra" dogs we had then). She eventually said she might adopt him (because she was afraid to place him with anybody else), but couldn't fit another crate in her van and he'd have to be crated when she went to trials. (This was before she and Stephen were married, or had even met.) I made a deal with her... if she'd adopt him, I'd give her one of my 3 "special" 23-inch wide crates (they were only made for a short time), which would fit in her van. She could put one of her girls in it and Travis in one of her larger crates. She said, "Done deal!"

After Jen had him for about 6 months, I took him for a vet visit to U Auburn (he had a toe issue we wanted Dr. Gillette to look at and I was taking one of my dogs there). I held him in the waiting room, while people kept coming in/out with various little fluffy dogs, cats, etc. It was challenging, but he was SO MUCH better than when I had him!

I absolutely adored Jigmo/Travis, but knew I was not able to give him what he needed at that time. He was one of the most gorgeous dogs I ever saw. When I look at Jen's pages about him and watch his videos, I cry every time. Right dog/right home!

That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing! It's so cool how small a world greyhounds are once you've been in it for a little while. We've only had Summit coming up to 3 years now and already all the little nerves and synapses in this tiny world are starting to become very obvious. Very cool. And definitely a case of right dog/right home. I don't think there are many homes out there that could have handled a dog like Travis, never mind allowed him to emerge as the dog that he did. Most examples aren't that extreme, but so true that just because you WANT something to work doesn't mean it will. If I discovered I had adopted a dog with that level of prey drive I would have to return it, no matter how much it ripped my heart out. I cannot have a dog with that kind of prey drive. Important for everyone to realize what their limitations are and that it's okay to have limitations. (And I'm not suggesting to the OP that they should be returning their dog... this got a little side tracked... I apologize for the hijack, I just couldn't resist knowing more. I will stop now, I swear.)

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Angelav: Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of advice here, some empathy, some sympathy and some judgement. Take what you can use and try to ignore the rest.

I understand wanting a phone with you. I usually walk with my husband, and he's the one with pockets. (Why doesn't women's clothing come with more pockets?) Last time I walked the dog alone, I needed my asthma inhaler, a flashlight, phone and keys. I gave up and found a handbag/purse that I could wear diagonally across my chest, and put all but the flashlight in there, so I had may hands free to scoop. Maybe you can find a small go bag you can wear across so it doesn't slide off your shoulder, or one of those arm or wrist wallets for your phone and keys. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Phubby-active-wearWrist-Wallet-technology/dp/B00A8NACVG/ref=pd_sim_sg_3"> like this</a>

Good luck. If you have a big boy and are a small lady, I can see how a sudden battle of wills could take you off guard. Hopefully a trainer can help you handle him better. Luckily the biggest problem I get with my big boy is occasional statue-ing, but our behaviorist taught me some ways around that, and I can get him moving when I have to.

In case my coding doesn't work: http://www.amazon.com/Phubby-active-wearWrist-Wallet-technology/dp/B00A8NACVG/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

Guest Giselle

I hope that Banner gets the training he wants and needs.

In my first post, I gave you great sympathy and praised your courage for coming here and for being proactive. Then, we all gave advice about how to train, but... thereafter, there was no mention from you of any specific training steps taken to help change Banner's behavior. That's when it became frustrating for those of us who really want to see Banner learn and succeed. To be honest, that is when I became frustrated, and I apologize if that hurt your feelings. I'm glad that you are well versed in law, but, again, I've been engaged in dog bite legal battles and they are something to be avoided like the plague. I really hope that Banner gets his training and that you won't have to go through that.

Guest Angelav

Willowsmum, that is an excellent idea. I actually did it today for my keys and phone. I used my spi belt that i use for running.

Giselle, yet again. I have said the things I will be doing this weekend. Unfortunately, my time during the week is limited. I also believe in smart consumer shopping. I don't buy the first product or service I come about. Banner is 4.5 years old. Waiting for this weekend won't hurt. As for immediate steps, I did not realize I needed to outline them. 1) the muzzle is being placed on him during all walks 2) my phone and keys are placed in a pouch 3) I walk a different route that has space and less dogs (unfortunately cats are everywhere). My husband and I will discuss things further based on the wonderful recommendations this forum has provided is with, including yours.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I won't repeat the advice given re: muzzling, training etc... But; I have a tip to get a dog to let go of something it refuses to drop; reach between the back legs, find where the femoral artery is and give a firm pinch. The resulting "ouch" will make the dog yip and in that second, release what it's got in its mouth. But; they only let go for a second so be ready to pull them away. Also, yes, use a martingale. A narrow one. For a dog you need firm control over, I have found a 3/4" or 1" a lot more effective than a 1.5", and the wide 2" collars best be left for very well-behaved hounds. They feel the correction a lot easier with a narrow-er martingale and you don't need to be as physical.

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest Angelav

That is great advice. Will definitely use the femoral trick if the situation calls for it. Cool. At least now we know a size. I was having a hard time figuring out what size for banner.

Guest Liz_in_PA

This is going to sound sort of insultingly obvious, but wear closed toed shoes when you walk Banner. If something bad happens, you don't want to fall out of your flipflops while dealing with it. BTDT.

I'm sorry that you got more than you bargained for with Banner.