Oh-No! I've Become One Of Those People!

At the age of 9, I think it's a nice thing to do for our dogs. If you're concerned about the additional cost of babying her, maybe cut back on the tuna and sprinkle a few bits over the top of her food instead of a third of a can. Just a thought.

Guest grey_dreams

Honestly, I wonder that dogs will eat the same kibble over and over and over, for years. I really don't think it's "spoiling" or "ruining" to give a variety of foods. My dogs get all kinds of things to eat, but that doesn't turn them into picky eaters. When Zuki was becoming very ill, he did turn into a picky eater (the disease and the meds robbed him of his appetite), and I joyfully twisted myself (and my pocketbook) inside out to find a variety of things that could tempt him to eat.

Well - after a while of tuna topping - then canned dogfood topping...I decided to try just straight kibble the other night. She slurped it down. And has for several evenings. I noticed the canned dogfood nor tuna had been touched, so I assumed DH was going the same route as me for morning feedings (he works nights, so does morning feeding while I'm at work). I asked him about it - and NO - he's been doing add-ins every morning (leftovers from dinner - why open a can of dogfood when there's chicken to give?). I told him that Diana was kibble dinner straight - and he was SHOCKED.

So - when we were BOTH home tonight - I gave her just kibble - I actually thought that since "dad" was home, even though she's feeling better.. she'd turn up her nose. She didn't. She chomped it right down.

He said "I'm glad she's feeling better, and will eat her kibble. But - I'm still going to give her a little tuna, or canned food, or dinner leftovers on her breakfast. Cuz - she's my girl, and she's getting older, and there's no reason why I shouldn't. And she lost weight SO FAST when she was not feeling well."

I just can't argue with that. And I'll make sure there is always good quality canned food in the house for DH to give her on her breakfast. Or tuna. Or whatever dinner leftovers - (nothing weird, just meat/pasta/rice).

We've just passed into spoiling. But ONLY DH. Not me. She's back on kibble with me. And occasional raw - because I definitely believe in that. But the add-ins are now on DH.

The wonky thing is - she KNOWS the difference - and will eat what I put in front of her - but will probably expect "more" from DH in the morning.

Honestly, I wonder that dogs will eat the same kibble over and over and over, for years. I really don't think it's "spoiling" or "ruining" to give a variety of foods. My dogs get all kinds of things to eat, but that doesn't turn them into picky eaters. When Zuki was becoming very ill, he did turn into a picky eater (the disease and the meds robbed him of his appetite), and I joyfully twisted myself (and my pocketbook) inside out to find a variety of things that could tempt him to eat.

I've always rotated kibbles, and supplement with raw. It's never given me a fussy eater. We also supplement with dog-appropriate leftovers. I also think that I wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day for years, and I assume that every dogfood has a different nutritional composition - so I go through a rotating serious of the 3 dogfoods I like the nutrition of. Changing up the food mix does not make a picky eater - In my experience.

And apparently - "dolling up" Diana's food for a while - didn't turn her picky either.

I've always rotated kibbles, and supplement with raw. It's never given me a fussy eater. We also supplement with dog-appropriate leftovers. I also think that I wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day for years, and I assume that every dogfood has a different nutritional composition - so I go through a rotating serious of the 3 dogfoods I like the nutrition of. Changing up the food mix does not make a picky eater - In my experience.

And apparently - "dolling up" Diana's food for a while - didn't turn her picky either.

ETA: I understand that some dogs can not tolerate food changes - so my method certainly won't work for every dog.