Feeding Fish

Guest Scarter55

Guest Scarter55

I'm curious if there are any fish that are appropriate to feed whole and raw to dogs. We've given her sardines in the past (gives her monsterous gas!), but that's it. I sorta assume that most fish have bones that can get stuck in their throats (I've had that happen to me, extremely unpleasant), but thought I'd check to see if there are any types that are ok to use.

Guest chickenpotpie

I've fed raw salmon but only when I know its deboned or I do it myself. She also eats tilapia but only cooked (can't say I blame her really...lol)

Guest BlueCrab

One of the treats that Trixie gets at the local M&Gs is dried fish skin treats, which she loves! So not exactly an answer to your question, but there are fish products out there.

Guest k85trb

Be careful about raw salmon, some can contain parasites that can kill your dog! I believe the parasite is in pacific salmon.

Diesel eats raw mackerel.

Guest blueberri

Sparky gets salmon frames (ie what's left when you take the fillets off). It does need to be frozen for 3 days prior to use to kill off the parasites that affect dogs. He loves salmon, and loves salmon or other deep sea fish heads.

I believe dogs can have whole fish with no dramas. It is a meal to supervise, as we've previously had Sparky get a fin stuck across the roof of his mouth and got quite distressed by it until we removed it.

Guest johnmclaren

I think Fish forms an integral part of the diet for many people for feeding their dogs and cats. You can use blackfish, whiting, red fish, mullet, sardines, mackeral, etc for your pet. You can also feed them with eel or on the odd occasion, feed prawns, shark, and crab.