Should I Stop This Behavior?

Guest Isabella

Guest Isabella

As some on here may know my fuzzy Izzy is a very shy, unsocialized dog who was abused. She is making baby steps progressing and I hate to discourage any social interaction that she shows. She has recently started biting at me when she gets excited, I believe they call this "nitting" it's always when she is feeling happy and trying to play which is why I am not sure whether to discourage this or not (just in the past 2 weeks has she shown any interest of playing in the house and when she does it only lasts a few minutes) I know that she is not trying to hurt me and that she is showing affection but truth is sometimes it SMARTS! At this point I am pretty sure she would not show this behavior to anyone but me as she is still terrified of most people, I just don't want her to develop bad habits. Does anyone have a similar situation ? Advice appreciated.

It's common, but a good idea to discourage it. Positive redirection often helps. You might try to offer her a dog toy instead so she continues to feel playful in a more appropriate way. (She can't nit humans while holding a toy in her mouth.)

Glad she's feeling more comfortable these days. :)

Guest psdirector

Tibbs nits when I come home and he's very excited. He also bounces up and down on his front paws just a few inches off the floor - it looks like a spring-loaded play bow. Once in a while my skin gets in the way of his nitting teeth and I give him a toy instead. In fact, if he can find a toy to throw around, he doesn't nit. Toys have to be on the floor, though - for whatever reason he will rarely get toys out of the toys basket.

when she did hurt me I yelped like a puppy which made her more gentle.

I agree, it's probably best to discourage this behavior now before it gets worse. What Brandiandwe mentioned above is a Victoria Stillwell trick. Anytime the dog's teeth touch you, yelp very loudly like you're hurt (even if you're not). Most dogs will stop the behavior if they think they're hurting you. Redirecting is also a good idea. If you have a toy available, give it to her when she starts biting. As long as you're consistent, this is actually a pretty easy behavior to correct.

I would do as suggested -- no scolding, just yelp and stop interacting, and/or redirect. Some dogs are very gentle about this even when excited, and in those cases I don't mind. But if they get less than gentle, best to change the behavior for everybody's comfort.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.