Suggestions On Walking A Squirrel Hunter?

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

All of my hounds are reletivly high prey drive and like to hunt the squirrels in the neighborhood, especially when we walk through the park. They pull a bit on the leash, maybe jump up a tree, generally just have fun and it doesn't affect our walk at all.

Izzy, however, takes it to a whole new level. As soon as we leave the house she is on high alert. She gets so excited and is constantly pulling me forward. If we are heading into a heavily populated squirrrel areas, forget it, I am dragged down the street and she is so focused she forgets to do her business. The problem here is that the entire neighborhood, now that the weather has warmed up a bit, is a squirrel haven. We have lots af trees everywhere and open spaces.

We have been working on the look cue and watch me, which has worked with some distractions, but when those ears go up, she is so in the zone, it doesn't work.

When there are no small furries darting around she is a dream on the leash, just perfect, and I love to walk her...Just looking for some suggestions on ways to manage her natural instinct a little better, (if it's even possible), we don't have a back yard so long walks mulitple times a day are the norm.

Extensive work on "watch me" and "leave it." You want to be consistent and work on these things with at home, then move to more distracting situations. I would also recommend that you use some type of no-pull harness to give yourself a little more control during walks. If she's a major puller, I would either walk her separately or walk her with another person so that you don't end up in a situation where you lose control and all three dogs get loose. Also, I've had several obedience classes with galgos over the years, and I find that they usually do quite well. It may help to enroll her in some type of formal obedience class where you can learn to (1) give her a job and (2) channel her energy.

Atlas is good with cats, but terrible about the rabbits and squirrels in our neighborhood. A few times he lunged to the end of his leash and flipped over backward. It was pretty scary!

He got a lot better after I took him to an obedience class. During our walks, we would practice sit, stay, down, look at me, and leave it. It really helped him focus instead of flaking out about the squirrels. A few times, I did have to just change directions in the street to break his focus on them.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest DeniseL

Extensive work on "watch me" and "leave it." You want to be consistent and work on these things with at home, then move to more distracting situations. I would also recommend that you use some type of no-pull harness to give yourself a little more control during walks. If she's a major puller, I would either walk her separately or walk her with another person so that you don't end up in a situation where you lose control and all three dogs get loose. Also, I've had several obedience classes with galgos over the years, and I find that they usually do quite well. It may help to enroll her in some type of formal obedience class where you can learn to (1) give her a job and (2) channel her energy.

Atlas is good with cats, but terrible about the rabbits and squirrels in our neighborhood. A few times he lunged to the end of his leash and flipped over backward. It was pretty scary!

He got a lot better after I took him to an obedience class. During our walks, we would practice sit, stay, down, look at me, and leave it. It really helped him focus instead of flaking out about the squirrels. A few times, I did have to just change directions in the street to break his focus on them.

Yep, guess a harness is the best bet. I haven't needed them for my other two, so I guess I'm a little spoiled. Will order ASAP.

I signed her up for a 6 week class starting on the 17th of April, so it's good to know that it will help. I was hoping to get her into a regualr agility class or some sort of activity to challenge her, but basic obedience graduation is required first so its works out perfectly.

I usually just take the girls together instead of all three. Thyme is the least interested in the furries so it is manageable.

Oh, I forgot to mention - Atlas got much more overstimulated and likely to lunge when walking with our greyhounds. So for awhile, I did two separate walks. He was also more likely to lunge at the squirrels if he'd recently seen (and gotten excited by) another dog out walking.

Have fun with your obedience class!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DeniseL

Just wanted to update becasue I am so excited! We FINALLY got Izzy a no pull harness that fit her properly. I instantly noticed a huge difference!! She stopped pulling and while she still hunts the squirrels, it is not with the same intensity that she did before. She has also become way less reactive with the other dogs in the neighborhood. It is amazing!! I guess the tension around her neck, just really fired her up! I'm not sure how they hunt with Galgo's in Spain, but maybe that is part of it....I'm so happy, she seems so much more relaxed and comfortable on her walks now.

Just wanted to update becasue I am so excited! We FINALLY got Izzy a no pull harness that fit her properly. I instantly noticed a huge difference!! She stopped pulling and while she still hunts the squirrels, it is not with the same intensity that she did before. She has also become way less reactive with the other dogs in the neighborhood. It is amazing!! I guess the tension around her neck, just really fired her up! I'm not sure how they hunt with Galgo's in Spain, but maybe that is part of it....I'm so happy, she seems so much more relaxed and comfortable on her walks now.

Yay!! Glad you're seeing an improvement!

I respectfully disagree with the previous suggestion of a prong collar.

Greyhounds' necks and throats are even more sensitive than other breeds. Greyhounds have no protective fat layer, no undercoat of fur, and barely any outer layer of fur. These types of collars can cause laryngeal paralysis (paralyzed throat flaps eventually suffocate dogs to death). Neck damage can cause permanent nerve damage that extends throughout the body and into hind legs.

Here's one example of dangers of using prong collars...

"Choke and prong collars are designed to punish dogs for pulling by inflicting pain and discomfort. They can cause serious physical and emotional damage to dogs and should never be used.

The use of choke collars has been associated with whiplash, fainting, spinal cord injuries leading to paralysis, crushing of the trachea with partial or complete asphyxiation, crushing and/or fracture of the bones in the larynx, dislocated neck bones, bruising of the esophagus, bruising and damage to the skin and tissues in the neck, brain damage and prolapsed eyes caused by sharp increases in pressure in the head, and other injuries.

The metal spikes of prong collars pinch the skin around dogs' necks when they pull and can scratch or puncture them. Over time, this can cause dogs to develop scar tissue (which has no feeling) and/or build up a tolerance to the painful pinching sensation and thus continue to pull, making walks even more difficult. Dogs may interpret the tightening of a choke or prong collar around their neck as a stranglehold (which it is, after all!) and become fearful or even aggressive.

The most humane and safest option for walking a dog who tends to want to pull is a front-leash attachment harness, such as the Sense-ation. When dogs lunge or pull while wearing the Sense-ation harness, the front leash attachment redirects them back toward the dogwalker. With patience and positive reinforcement, walks can be a pleasant experience for both human and dog."

http://www.peta.org/about/faq/What-are-the-dangers-of-using-choke-and-prong-collars.aspx

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest DeniseL

I respectfully disagree with the previous suggestion of a prong collar.

Greyhounds' necks and throats are even more sensitive than other breeds. Greyhounds have no protective fat layer, no undercoat of fur, and barely any outer layer of fur. These types of collars can cause laryngeal paralysis (paralyzed throat flaps eventually suffocate dogs to death). Neck damage can cause permanent nerve damage that extends throughout the body and into hind legs.

Here's one example of dangers of using prong collars...

"Choke and prong collars are designed to punish dogs for pulling by inflicting pain and discomfort. They can cause serious physical and emotional damage to dogs and should never be used.

The use of choke collars has been associated with whiplash, fainting, spinal cord injuries leading to paralysis, crushing of the trachea with partial or complete asphyxiation, crushing and/or fracture of the bones in the larynx, dislocated neck bones, bruising of the esophagus, bruising and damage to the skin and tissues in the neck, brain damage and prolapsed eyes caused by sharp increases in pressure in the head, and other injuries.

The metal spikes of prong collars pinch the skin around dogs' necks when they pull and can scratch or puncture them. Over time, this can cause dogs to develop scar tissue (which has no feeling) and/or build up a tolerance to the painful pinching sensation and thus continue to pull, making walks even more difficult. Dogs may interpret the tightening of a choke or prong collar around their neck as a stranglehold (which it is, after all!) and become fearful or even aggressive.

The most humane and safest option for walking a dog who tends to want to pull is a front-leash attachment harness, such as the Sense-ation. When dogs lunge or pull while wearing the Sense-ation harness, the front leash attachment redirects them back toward the dogwalker. With patience and positive reinforcement, walks can be a pleasant experience for both human and dog."

http://www.peta.org/about/faq/What-are-the-dangers-of-using-choke-and-prong-collars.aspx

oh....I think she was just kidding :D Thanks for the good information on prong collars, though. I would never consider using one on any dog much less Izzy with her paper thin skin. I swear you look at her wrong and she has a cut. :)

Guest GalgoMom

I don't have anything helpful to add, except that I wanted to comment that my galgo seems to have no prey drive when it comes to anything other than bunnies. Squirrels and mallard ducks earn only a curious ear prick and an almost thoughtful-seeming gaze. He likes to watch, but makes no move. In fact, I can't get him to move! His nose twitches a lot, like he is trying to identify them by scent. He'll just stand there and observe for whatever length of time he feels is necessary to 'learn' whatever it is he wants to learn. His gaze is not hyper-focused and intense. His eyes are soft, and he almost seems like he is trying to figure out what these strange creatures are. I just assumed galgos had a lower prey drive, or maybe had never seen squirrels before.

BUNNIES, however, earn a completely different response. Rearing up, yelping, lunging, whining -- you name it! Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be very many bunnies near where I live. It has been a long time since we have come across one.

One time we did startle a deer, and Jersey wanted to give chase. He returned back to that spot for a long time after, looking for the deer. I read somewhere online that is characteristic of a galgo.

Good luck with your training and your galgo!

Guest NeverSayNever

I wasn't kidding about the prong collar. I understand they look kind of barbaric and its easy to get stuck on cases where the prong collar was used to hurt and injure the dog. But cases of serious abuse are not the same as responsible, normal use. Cases of abuse should not be the basis for judging a tool. I'm sure most folks find the head halter fairly gently, but if you haul off and yank on that as hard as you can, I'm pretty sure you can damage the dog's neck and spine.

I've been teaching obedience for ex-racers in Atlanta since 1999 and everyone once in awhile I will have an adopter use a prong collar because the particular greyhound is simply too strong and impulsive. The worse case was one woman who had been pulled down to the ground and had her shoulder dislocated. A prong collar gave her the ability to walk her greyhound without fear and the greyhound now has more fun and gets more exercise because he gets to go for walks now. Prong collar was a win win for them both. I've used them on a couple of hounds myself. I just prefer to not get into a wrestling match especially when I am walking multiple dogs for several miles. Prong collar allows you to be very gentle with them. If you are a big jerk to your dog and can't stop yanking on the leash, then don't use one.... it is cruel.... and well you shouldn't have a dog either. But if you are a nice dog owner just needing a little help, your back hurts, your shoulder aches, and you are tired of it.. a prong collar might be your new best friend. No one using a prong collar responsibly has ever left a mark or punctured their dog even a greyhound.

And as far as your emotional trauma, generally your high prey, highly motivated greyhounds are also very confident... they aren't going to be emotionally damaged by it. I would not use a prong collar to correct a very dog aggressive greyhound.... that dog already has emotional damage and a prong collar is only going to add to it.... and that is just a whole other topic. But if you have a happy, lunging, terrible strong, a bit out of control greyhound going for squirrels, cats, or even small dogs... a prong collar is very helpful. And I'm speaking from lots of experience.

And CHOKE CHAIN is not the same thing. I would never use one of those and do not recommend them.

I respectfully agree to disagree. I'm sad to see that suggestion on a public Greyhound forum.

I wasn't writing about abuse cases, nor was the author of the posted link. Many people would not notice gradual internal damage happening during training sessions or walks. Permanent and progressive medical damage can crop up years later.

I'm sitting here with two retired racing Greyhounds with Laryngeal Paralysis (fully paralyzed throat flaps prevent breathing), and one with nerve damage from the neck through spine and hind legs. They arrived at 5 and 6 years old. The first thing veterinarians warn owners with LP dogs is to stop using collars. I, too, have been training dogs (for 40+ years), and even the most prey driven, high energy Greyhounds that I've encountered have responded beautifully learning to heel with positive methods using gentle (front latch) no-pull harnesses.

Edited by 3greytjoys