Splinting For Broken Toe

Thanks for mentioning the praise for putting his foot down. I have been doing that but feeling a little silly for using clicker training to this end. Though each time I use the marker word he'd get so excited he'd start hopping around. That part wasn't very productive but somehow he makes hopping look cute.

This boy is such a nut I just adore him.

Guest larock

We just went through this with Roodie, back index toe. We took an xray and it was a clean break so our vet just immobilized it with a little vet wrap. I changed the vet wrap every 3-4 days but around week 3 noticed a pressure sore so left the bandage off. Roodie didn't put any weight on it for the first week but after 4 weeks he was almost back to normal and only hopping occasionally when moving quickly. Of course we restricted his movement the enture time; no couch, leash potty break, no walks.

Hoping your baby feeling better soon.

:)

Thanks, larock. That makes me feel better. Glad Roodie is doing well.

JJNg, I forgot to add that Sol was not using his leg when it was in the splint except for the odd toe touch. So he is just continuing the same behavior. His toe doesn't seem to be a problem. There was already reduced range of motion in that ankle before he broke his toe. He's never shown any signs of lameness but the reduced ROM has been noted on routine exam a couple times in the last year. I'm sticking my worries about this on the back burner for the next few days.