Yucky Looking Teeth

Guest jschwe

Guest jschwe

We haven't had superbird too long, and so I'm not really sure what greyhound teeth are like long term. His teeth are all technically healthy, at least for now, and they were cleaned before we got him in December, but they are pretty deeply stained and frankly gross looking. I brush them a few times a week and we have started going him turkey necks but I am wondering if they will get any better looking. Is there anything more I can do to clean them up? Or will they always pretty much look like this?

Guest OPointyDog

Are all of them kind of gray or brownish? A similar color everywhere? If so, then he may have been given tetracycline (an antibiotic) as a pup, and his teeth will be permanently that color. Our Zoe has this, and it's apparently not uncommon. Hers are all kind of gray....

Guest Clawsandpaws

Does he also have bad breath? How old is he? If it isn't related to Tetracycline, and just icky teeth, I would start brushing every day (I think you should be brushing everyday regardless, I love clean teefs!) Dudley is 3 1/2 now, when we got him, his teeth weren't terrible, but definitely not good. We brush every day, as well as a foam and spray afterwards. I *think* that this brushing, coupled with a better diet (not constant kennel mush) and some special chewing treats have greatly helped his teeth's health.

Guest jschwe
Are all of them kind of gray or brownish? A similar color everywhere? If so, then he may have been given tetracycline (an antibiotic) as a pup, and his teeth will be permanently that color. Our Zoe has this, and it's apparently not uncommon. Hers are all kind of gray....

Yes! This is exactly what they look like. I didn't realize there was a common cause for teeth like this.

His breath is not *good* smelling but the only time I've noticed it is when he yawns directly in my face. Most of the time I don't really smell anything. And his tartar seems to be for the most part staying under control. Although I agree I should brush his teeth more often!! I'll admit that it sometimes falls lower than it should on my to do list.

ETA: Sorry! Forgot to add that he's 3.

Edited by jschwe

Guest OPointyDog

Yes! This is exactly what they look like. I didn't realize there was a common cause for teeth like this.

Yes, apparently it can even happen before they are born if the mother is given tetracycline when she's pregnant. It's a fairly common antibiotic for all kinds of things. They look kind of icky, but it doesn't seem to affect them other than color. I've gotten used to it now, so that our 2nd grey's teeth actually are blindingly white by comparison! :D

It's from the mom getting antibiotics before the pups are born or from the pups getting them while they are very tiny. There is nothing you can do to make them white. It doesn't mean that the teeth are bad or anything like that, the medication just discolors them. I have four litter mates that all have the discolored teeth.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee