Picky Now?

Guest driser

Our 4 year old retired GH has NEVER been a picky eater. But currently ... not sure what's going on.

We thought he had a toothache, but vet said no and he will eat so it's not an all out food strike. Now we are thinking that after a month of medication wrapped in turkey lunch meat it seems maybe he's just realized that he prefers lunch meat. Has anyone else every had a GH who was a stellar eater and then ... "No thanks, i don't want my usual. I'd like lunch meat and those probiotic chews you keep in the fridge for dinner. And breakfast."

We feed Nature's Balance LID Venison and Sweet Potato and mix a spoonful of the same, canned food, to make "gravy." After many many many different types of food we finally found one his mild IBS handles and he thrives on. aka: great poop! He has scarfed it for months on end. Thinking maybe he was just being picky, I went out and bought a can of the Nature's Balance LID Duck and Potato to make his "gravy" last night and he scarfed it. Bingo, he just needed something special. Or so we thought. He didn't get up right away this morning. I came down at 6:30, my husband was still in bed, so our GH stayed in his which is next to our bed. When my husband got up THEN our GH came down at 6:45 ... but wasn't real interested in a repeat of kibble with "duck gravy." I ignored him and he did eventually eat 75% of his breakfast.

Picky? This morning was the last of his doxycycline (Erhlichia) so may be are now just needed to ween him off a slice of lunch meat that he is very fixated on??

Don't want to worry you but in the 3 dogs I've had with Kidney problems over about 40 years iy was always increasing pickyness that was the first symptom that all might not be well. Have a set of blood tests done when you can and then you can do things to ease the load on their kidneys if it's necessary.

Don't want to worry you but in the 3 dogs I've had with Kidney problems over about 40 years iy was always increasing pickyness that was the first symptom that all might not be well. Have a set of blood tests done when you can and then you can do things to ease the load on their kidneys if it's necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion! He had a complete panel run when he was became suddenly ill and was hospitalized on 1/4/13 with Erhlichia symptoms and secondary vasculitis ... so thankfully kidneys were not an issue just one month ago. And he ate his dinner tonight with his usual vim vigor so this is so random right now.

A dog that is truly hungry doesn't have the opportunity be picky. Are you free feeding him, or picking the bowl up after 15 minutes?

we've never had to pick the bowl up after 15 mins ... he usually has it clean in 15 seconds. But no, we aren't leaving it down for him to pick at. We are taking it away after about 15 mins with the thought, "well then you should be good and ready for dinner." And he was! :) Scarfed his dinner in his usual 15 seconds...maybe 30 if you count trying to lick the shine off the bowl. :)

Guest 2greys2cats

Daily lunch meat isn't the best...it has salt and preservatives. There are powder probiotics that you can add directly to his food. Maybe try that...

we've never had to pick the bowl up after 15 mins ... he usually has it clean in 15 seconds. But no, we aren't leaving it down for him to pick at. We are taking it away after about 15 mins with the thought, "well then you should be good and ready for dinner." And he was! :) Scarfed his dinner in his usual 15 seconds...maybe 30 if you count trying to lick the shine off the bowl. :)

Yep! They aren't dumb. It only takes one missed meal before they understand "OH! Better eat now, or I don't eat at all."

Picky? This morning was the last of his doxycycline (Erhlichia) so may be are now just needed to ween him off a slice of lunch meat that he is very fixated on??

Doxycycline can cause an upset stomach, so maybe the change in his appetite was related to that? See if his eating habits go back to normal now that he's done with it.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg