Easing A Food Change Without A Transition?

Guest kmcmcf

Guest 2greys2cats
Pumpkin is used to FIRM the stool, not for constipation. Rice is used as a bland diet. It has no firming properties that I know of. And forgive me, but isn't rice a grain??

Anyway, when I picked up my dog, I was all set to feed him that night--the food his foster home gave me. Turns out it was full of mold (yeah, she had been feeding him moldy food) so I had no choice but to switch him. He had diarrhea anyway (gee, you think maybe you should have had that treated?), so it really didn't get all that much worse.

The problem is this: what if the dog you end up with CANNOT eat a grain free diet?

Rice is a grain, but it is gluten free :) I just have to feed grain free because I have never found a pet food NOT labeled grain-free that does not have gluten - as wheat, barley, rye, or as a modified food starch - as a filler in some way (of course if anyone knows of one please let me know in case I might need to try it if the grain-free's too rich for her), and my sensitivity is so high I get sick from even the smallest bit in my environment. If she can't do well on grain-free or raw, I'll cycle through gf grains and psuedo-grains to mix into or supplement her food with until I find one she does well on, of course :)

Guest 2greys2cats
Rice is a grain, but it is gluten free :) I just have to feed grain free because I have never found a pet food NOT labeled grain-free that does not have gluten - as wheat, barley, rye, or as a modified food starch - as a filler in some way (of course if anyone knows of one please let me know in case I might need to try it if the grain-free's too rich for her), and my sensitivity is so high I get sick from even the smallest bit in my environment. If she can't do well on grain-free or raw, I'll cycle through gf grains and psuedo-grains to mix into or supplement her food with until I find one she does well on, of course :)

A grain free, gluten free food is Solid Gold WolfKing. That is the most recent one I came across.

A grain free, gluten free food is Solid Gold WolfKing. That is the most recent one I came across.

yep, that's one of quite a few - there's lots of grain-free dog food, and all grain-free dog food is gluten free (or should be, or else it isn't really grain-free) it's just that i haven't found a dog food WITH grains that is still gluten-free, is what I was saying to GeorgeofNE in response to their concerns about what I'd do if she couldn't eat a grain-free food (like, if she had to have grains in her diet to do well)

Guest 2greys2cats

yep, that's one of quite a few - there's lots of grain-free dog food, and all grain-free dog food is gluten free (or should be, or else it isn't really grain-free) it's just that i haven't found a dog food WITH grains that is still gluten-free, is what I was saying to GeorgeofNE in response to their concerns about what I'd do if she couldn't eat a grain-free food (like, if she had to have grains in her diet to do well)

Oh sorry for misreading it.