Diarrhea With My Dorey

Guest Doreybelle

Guest Doreybelle

Sorry for the gross subject line!

I'm not sure if I should be worried or anything about this but, lately my Dorey has had diarrhea. It's been about a week now, and it is super runny which makes it hard for me to pick up on our walks. For a couple days last week we stool was normal and then changed back to the diarrhea.

She is still eating and drinking normally, and I'm still giving her, her 2 cups of food daily. She is drinking normally as well.

When she is laying down I can her her tummy making noises but I think that's normal? She isn't showing any signs of discomfort that I can see!

Not sure if she's having a reaction to her food? She's been eating the same food I've given her since I adopted her last year in November. Should I be changing her food or something?

If anyone has some insight on this, I'm not sure what to do and if I should be worried about this!!

Thanks!!

Time for a vet visit and fecal analysis :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yup. Gurgly tummies aren't normal. May not be a huge problem, but the symptoms taken together do indicate a problem, I think. Time for the vet.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

You'll want to get a fecal sample to take with you. Follow her around with a paper plate, and slip the plate beneath her butt as she squats down. Then bag the whole plate and its contents.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

A week is a long time for diarrhea. Start her on a bland diet ASAP and try to replenish fluids as much as possible. Then your next step is to have a fecal done to rule out parasites. If everything is normal there, I might look at a possible food intolerance. One of my friend's greys did fine on a food from the time she adopted him until two months later. Then, he started having chronic diarrhea and losing weight.

Guest Doreybelle

Thanks so much everyone! I took Dorey to the vet tonight and they did a rectal exam and took her temp.

Vet couldn't feel anything wrong so she gave me an antibiotic, Metronidazole to give for 7 days and also a prebiotic to put on her food at meal times.

I also gave them a fecal sample so they could see if it is a matter of parasites.

Crossing my fingers for nothing terrible for my sweet Dorey!!

Thanks so much for the advice everyone, it's much appreciated!! :)