Growling

Guest ellenanneeddy

Guest ellenanneeddy

I have two older greys, a 10 year old girl called Birdy and an 8 year old male called Finnie. Two months ago I adopted a three year old male called Zeke.

Zeke is a spook. He is very bright, but easily spooked by noises, movements and anything that drops or falls near him. He was on the track for around w years.

Zeke would like very much to be in charge. He's started to growl not during a wake up, or because another dog is close. He's just growling. I've been doing a gentle stop that. Gentle works much better for this boy.

I'm worried about my other dogs. Zeke refuses to be crated and can get himself out of a crate or really damage himself ( we've seen him do both) if crated. Fin is very gentle and not very well. His joints hurt Zeke really isn't nice about it.

Do I have something dangerous brewing here? Zeke is not growling at me or at people. But he is growling first at Fin and then at Bird. How can I keep this from escalating? I'm really concern.

Ellen

Sounds to me like they are trying to figure out the new pack order. If it were me I'd keep everyone muzzled until they figure things out. I wouldn't interfere unless things seem to be getting out of hand. Growling is their way of warning each other. If they can't growl you could end up with a bite. When you are not home can you seperate Zeke with a baby gate? Or seperate Finn but still keep everyone muzzled? If not at the least I'd never leave them alone without muzzles. Good luck.

june

So he's just growling? The dogs aren't near him when he growls? Is he growling over toys or the food or water bowl? I've never had one that didn't have a reason for growling like one of the others is in his personal space or they growl because they are being possessive over toys or food or treats.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If you have an older dog with joint pain, there are plenty of excellent solutions to help that! Just throwing that out there! My guy is 10 and has pain issues, and his life has been vastly improved with daily medications.

I'd listen closely to JillysFullHouse. As you can see, she has a LOT of experience! June gives you some great advice too. I'm a proponent of letting them work things out on their own if at all possible.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

What makes you feel that Zeke would like to "be in charge"? I really don't believe dogs think that way. As Judy (JillysFullHouse) mentioned, dogs usually have a reason for growling. Can you describe the situations where Zeke growls in more detail? Is he looking at the other dogs when he growls? Are the other dogs always asleep? Where is he relative to the other dogs, and what is he doing immediately before he starts growling?

One of my dogs growls for no apparent reason, often toward a dog or cat who is asleep. It will even progress to a snarling, lunging, and snapping which looks scary, but he's never made contact. If I calmly talk to him while he's in the growling stage, I can usually keep him from lunging/snapping. But for the most part, the other animals and I just ignore it. He's 11 years old now and has been doing it for years. I can't come up with any scientific/behavioral explanation for it. An animal communicator told me he's reacting to spirits, which I suppose is more than anything our understanding of dog behavior can provide.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg