Pulled Muscle Or Paw Pad Issue?

About three weeks ago, Brooks cut his paw pad on a piece of glass. This hasn't been a good autumn for our pup!

It was only a 1.5cm cut but deep enough to reach the "third layer" beneath the rough pad and whatever's just beneath. It was also split open slightly, but the vet opted not to stitch it up because it was in a location that the stitches wouldn't hold. It took about three days for the spot-bleeding to stop, despite shortening his walks consideralby, but we continued with semi-regular epsom salts/Betadine soaks (which we read about on GT) and he was doing much better over the past week. No longer any pronounced limping. The paw appeared to be healing well with no swelling, inflammation or recurrence of blood spots.

Then suddenly, over the last two days, he has not only begun limping again (same paw, his right front), but started hopping and resisting moments where he'd have to put any weight on it.

I would have guessed he suffered a pulled muscle on Sunday when we were playing in the backyard, but since it's the same paw I am concerned there is perhaps a piece of glass or something else related to the cut. The question is, how does one tell when a dog has a pulled muscle in the first place? Is there a way to know in this situation? Is this something a vet can deduce?

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

Guest Scouts_mom

I had a dog once where the vet couldn't tell if it was a toe problem or a leg problem. He did something to deaden the nerves in the toe and then had me walk her. When she didn't limp at all, it was clear the problem was the toe. This was years ago and I'm sorry I don't remember all the details. Maybe your vet can do something similar.

By any chance, have you avoided trimming the nails on Brooks' injured paw? If so, a nail might be putting enough pressure on the just-healed injury to make him avoid putting his weight on it. Also, you might check for corns.

Like scouts_mom, I know of a hound who had to have her foot numbed in order to isolate whether a limp was muscular or due to pain in the paw itself.

Wishing the best for you and Brooks.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Thanks for the numbing idea. I had planned to take him to the vet tomorrow if his condition doesn't improve. They are usually receptive to ideas (not always sure what I'm paying for!) and now it sounds like I'm armed with a good one.

He hasn't had the front nails trimmed in a while, so it's possible that's part of it. I honestly don't know how to check for corns or what that would look/feel like, but the front of the paw pad (near where the cut is) does seem tougher and less supple than normal.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).