Kibble Recommendations

Guest Dbuck

Carlos had good luck with Blue Buffalo Salmon recipe when he was in foster care. We switched him over to Merrick Duck and Sweet potato recipe mainly because it's made in TX (where we live), and the crude protein and other nutritional content was similar to Blue Buffalo. It is also around the same price. I have also heard great things about the Kirkland brand for greyhounds. I guess just try to find something that gives your pooch firm stools and doesn't cause an upset tummy. When we found that a food wasn't working for us, we SLOWLY switched him over to another food, and gave him a bit of Pepcid AC before meals to help his tummy.

vU6RQ.jpg

Rre there any recommendations for UK kibble food for greys? I have seen IAMS in the green bag at pet shops, but is it a good one to try or more of a last resort?

I have bought a small back of Burns lamb and Rice to start gradually switching over too. Any uk people got any suggestions though? Burns seems to be a quality food, but does it go down well with greys?

Peggy is on a track diet still so will have to switch very gradually.

I feed mine on Skinners Field & Trial Salmon & Rice, its a good budget hypoallergenic food and as classed as working dog food saves 20% on VAT straight off, it seems to have gone down well with 4 dogs i've fed on it. If there's not a local stockist its easy to order online which saves a journey and is often cheaper. Also like Fish4dogs (can make savings not buying direct from F4D), which 2 of my dogs are on at the moment as i bought bulk when on offer, it became too expensive but didn't notice much change going onto the skinners.

The skinners duck version is similar to Burns,but is about £22 rather than £50 per 15kg

Skinners- Whole rice (40%), duck meat meal (20%), naked

oats, peas, whole linseed, sunflower oil, beet pulp, vitamins and minerals.

Crude Protein 22%, Crude Oils & Fats 11%, Crude Fibre 3.5%, Crude Ash 5%,

Burns

Brown Rice (63%), Duck Meal (22%), Oats, Peas, Duck Fat, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Vitamins & Minerals.

Crude Protein 18.5%, Crude Oils & Fats 8%, Crude Fibre 2%, Crude Ash 6.5%,

Rre there any recommendations for UK kibble food for greys? I have seen IAMS in the green bag at pet shops, but is it a good one to try or more of a last resort?

I have bought a small back of Burns lamb and Rice to start gradually switching over too. Any uk people got any suggestions though? Burns seems to be a quality food, but does it go down well with greys?

Peggy is on a track diet still so will have to switch very gradually.

Burns is a very good food IMO, if you don't have any objection to feeding grains. One of mine is on it as she needs a low fat and lowish protein food. The only thing with Burns is that it is low in calories compared to other kibbles and I find the recommended feeding amounts on the bag to be on the skimpy side, so don't be surprised if you need to feed more than it says to keep Peggy's weight up. My Sophie loves it. She has a Burns pouch for breakfast and kibble for lunch and dinner, but I do add things in to the kibble to make it more interesting (chicken, extra-lean beef mince, a little liver, veggies, sardines, tuna, sweet potatoes etc) as I do think it's a little bland. Neither of mine like yoghurt mixed in with their kibble, but love a spoonful afterwards.

Another brand I trust is James Wellbeloved, who also do grain-free options.

Mine both love Orijen, but it's high in protein and fat and didn't agree with one of mine so I no longer feed it.

At the end of the day, they are all different and you may need to try a few before you find one that suits Peggy.

Good luck - Peggy is very pretty!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest crzy4grys
I am interested to know how long one bag of food lasts for 1 greyhound. I know it depends on the amount served, but just and estimate is fine with me.

Well I feed Beneaful, and its a 35lb bag and I have 2 greys and it lasts up a little over 2 weeks.

Mine were on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and did well on it (about $50 for a 30 lb. bag). I have switched over to Natural Balance Duck & Potato (about $55 for a 28lb. bag). Both of my dogs have done very well on both foods.

Whatever you choose, I would start with whatever they are currently feeling your grey now at the kennel, and very gradually switch over, keeping in mind that it may take a while to find the right food for him, and each switch should be done slowly.

Good luck!

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com