Long Trip - Feeling Some Guilt

Guest Arielle

Guest Arielle

Hey everyone! Quick question. My school is putting on a trip to South Africa this summer, where we will be working on a couple different reserves with a wildlife veterinarian. I REALLY want to go, but the only thing holding me back is my grey, Ari. The trip is four weeks long; it shouldn't be a problem for me to find a friend for her to stay with, but I feel really bad leaving her for so long. I haven't ever left her for more than two weeks. I know the summer is a long time away still, but we have to commit to the trip by the time we leave for Christmas break so that we can get plane tickets, vaccinations, etc., so I need to make a decision now. Has anyone else ever taken an extended trip and left their greys behind? Thanks!

If you know you have a friend who could live at your house and provide the care you'd want and expect... do not let this travel opportunity pass you by. As long as your grey is safe and loved, she will be fine, and you will miss her more than she will miss you.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

I have. I went to Chile for three weeks, which was extended to 4.5 weeks due to a huge earthquake. Everybody was fine. My dogs were separated; they stayed with different friends.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Being ex-military I know what its like to be away for 6 months at a time! Sure you are going to miss Ari and Ari will miss you, but as long as you know that Ari will be in good hands and will provide her with the same care that you give. Go for it, Africa is an amazing opportunity, eye opening experience, I would love to go back.

Are you INSANE????? Go!!!!

In the greater scheme of things, 4 weeks is not very long. Ari will be OK - you will probably miss her more than she'll miss you. And this is a once in a lifetime experience which will look great on your resume, give you some amazing experiences and, most importantly, give us here on the forum lots of very cool photos.

Guest greytone

I haven't left my boy left alone for months on end. Heck, I feel guilty just going to work and leaving my boy home alone.

But I think you need to GO! Go take your trip! This is a once in a lifetime trip.