Cow Ears

Guest Woodsy

So I've discovered a new, non-messy, reasonably inexpensive chewy treat. I can get them for a dollar-ish, less if I buy in bulk. Does anyone else go through a lot of freeze dried cow ears?

Our local stores only carry Pigs ears - our guys love them!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Yep, we use cow ers as chew treats when I periodically get them in bulk. Pups love them. Though cow ears land in the raw hide category as far as I am concerned, these seem to be something mine actually chew completely instead of merely chewing until pliant enough to swallow in a lump. Cow ears are not fatty like pig ears so that also makes them less of a worry. like so many things am sure these don't work for all dogs or situations but are good for my current batch of pups when I'm there to supervise.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AceyGrey

My boy loves them.

I always supervise Ace when he's eating them though.

Chewing on these seem to be have a positive impact on his teeth too, removing plaque and such like.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I've always wanted to ask, is it safe to let them just eat it? I have tried to give my grey several different types of chew toys, but he doesn't care about chewing, he just wants to eat! I can't give him ANYTHING but cookies or antlers (and only heavy duty antlers that dont hold his interest for long) I often see people posting about pigs ears/chicken feet/turkey necks, I would love to give one to my guy but I think he will swallow it whole :(

It is safe if they really chew it into small pieces. My problem with some things, like typical raw hide & bully sticks, is that the dogs do get to a point where they swallow it in lumps. There is something about the cow ears that prevents this. It is perhaps because these are easier to chew than many others things they seem able to chew & only swallow it in small pieces. Yes, they are eating it but not in big lumps.

Some are very easy to chew allowing them to quickly chew it into safe pieces but not lasting more than few minutes at most. Others are so tough to chew that the dog seems to chew enough to break off chunks they can swallow but perhaps too large to safely digest or pass. Cow ears seem to be the middle of the road on the chew treat scale. These aren't usually a long lasting treat compared to something like bully sticks. However, they last long enough to satisfy my dogs & requires enough chewing to promote some dental benefits without as much risk they'll swallow a big chunk.

Swallowing whole can be a problem. Have had a couple dogs who just didn't chew. Have a very strong memory of a dog who swallowed chicken backs & leg quarters whole! I actually trained him to chew by continuing to hold onto the object. He had to chew not swallow whole as I would not release the object. It took a while but it worked. Will admit I wasn't intentionally training at the time. Just wanted the dog to chew not swallow in a lump & it just worked to train the dog to chew.