Henry's Bloodwork Results- Any Input Appreciated

a_daerr

I sent these results on to Dr. Dodds, OSU, and MSU for more opinions on whether the seizures are connected to possible liver dysfunction. But here are the results of Henry's last round of bloodwork, copied straight from Idexx. Any input is appreciated. I've marked which levels were in the abnormal range.

ALK. PHOSPHATASE 43

ALT (SGPT) 53

AST (SGOT) 49

CK 356 (HIGH)

GGT 3

AMYLASE 666

LIPASE 431

ALBUMIN 2.8

TOTAL PROTEIN 4.9 (LOW)

GLOBULIN 2.1

BUN 28 (HIGH)

CREATININE 1.4

CHOLESTEROL 155

GLUCOSE 91

CALCIUM 9.1

PHOSPHORUS 4.1

TCO2 (BICARBONATE) 21

CHLORIDE 118 (HIGH)

POTASSIUM 4.0

SODIUM 146

A/G RATIO 1.3

B/C RATIO 20.0

NA/K RATIO 37

ANION GAP 11 (LOW)

T4 0.6 (LOW)

WBC 8.6

RBC 7.52

HGB 18.5 (HIGH)

HCT 49.6

MCV 66

MCH 24.6

MCHC 37.3 (HIGH)

% RETICULOCYTE 0.8

RETICULOCYTE 60

NEUTROPHIL SEG 63.4

LYMPHOCYTES 28.1

MONOCYTES 4.4

EOSINOPHIL 4.1

BASOPHIL 0.0

There were also higher than usual Bilrubin and Ketone levels in his urinalysis.

Ehrlichia, Lyme, and Heartworm were all negative.

Having the lab's reference ranges would help evaluate some of the numbers, but I'm really not seeing anything significant, and nothing that would be associated with seizures. You'd need more than a T4 to evaluate thyroid function (at least TSH and FT4). Why the concern about liver dysfunction? Did the bloodwork not include a total bilirubin level?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Having the lab's reference ranges would help evaluate some of the numbers, but I'm really not seeing anything significant, and nothing that would be associated with seizures. You'd need more than a T4 to evaluate thyroid function (at least TSH and FT4). Why the concern about liver dysfunction? Did the bloodwork not include a total bilirubin level?

I was concerned because his ALT (liver enzymes) have been high both in these results and ones that were done back in March.

The ALT isn't high in the results posted...?

I heard back from Dr. Kellogg at OSU. She said that the ALT was a little high, but everything else was unremarkable. She thought it was more likely neurological, rather than liver-related. I guess we're back to the drawing board.

Have you video taped the seizures? Are there times that it happens more often?

I've started keeping a journal so I can gauge the amount of times between seizures. In the past two years, they've increased from once or twice a year, to once every 6-8 months, and his two most recent have been less than a month apart. He typically only has grand mal seizures (falls to one side, loses consciousness, uncontrollable limb movements, foaming of the mouth). However, the last one was a focal, where he was remained standing but his legs were twitching. He also voided his bladder after this one, which he's never done before. As far as I can tell, they are unrelated to food, activity, or medication. The only meds he takes are heartworm and flea preventative.