Laser Removal Follow-Up

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Well, we took Miami back to the clinic yesterday for his one month follow up, post laser corn removal. Our suspicions were confirmed. One removed corn is already back. AND, he has a few other new ones. He doesn't put any weight at all on his back left paw unless he has his bootie on. The front left is not much better. His front right has a corns on it but he has to put weight somewhere. Thankfully, his back right is corn free. (thanks, God :) ) Even though we understood the possiblity of one or more corns returning, I was sooooo hoping we would be one of the laser success stories. :( Or at least buy a little time.

We took home some tramadol and rymadyl for days when he is in exceptional pain or very active. Mostly he just lays on our couch. His spirit is good! Very playful and loving. I just feel terrible for him.

Our next plan of action? We have an appointment with a homeopathic vet I have used in the past on Monday. We are thinking maybe duct tape or Murrey ave, which I brought home last night. I also have Dr Scholls remover. Laser surgery is another option, but considering his pain and discomfort last time, and the fact that one came back in a month, it doesn't seem worth it.

I am new to the corn world, but I can't help but think it is a virus of sorts. He didn't have any corns at the adoption kennel. None. He is very sensitive. I think the stress of coming home with us (he was almost catatonic in fear for a week or so, and is just starting to come out of his shell 2 months later) led to this "break-out" of corns. My hope is that as he settles in, maybe they won't be so aggressive. I am hoping to manage with one of the above treatments and hulling.

And we have thera-paws for every foot and cushy paws for the house. He looks so cute in them and the neighbors think it is adorable. But, boy do I feel bad for him. We are trying to stay positive and cheerful around Miami so he doesn't pick up on any negativity.

Oh, and NGAP has just been absolutely amazing!! So very supportive and the clinic staff has been fantastic. I am remaining positive for his homeopathic appointment Monday, this vet is my favorite and was a lifesaver when my Maya took ill last year. Only good thoughts and positive visualization :goodluck

Guest lanielovesgreys

I'm sorry the laser treatment didn't work as well as you had hoped. My vet really wants to surgically cut out Vivie's corn. I dunno, it just seems like the most invasive/painful treatments are the ones that have the chance of not working. I think we'll keep hulling and "bootie"-ing over here. And I'm feeling pretty lucky it's just the one paw. Poor Miami.

Interested in hearing what the homeopathic vet has to say. We have done the duct tape, hulling (once- it came back in a month) and use the boot for all walks. Ours only has one corn and the boot helps tremendously. But we are always looking for any other solution as well. Keep us posted!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I can't believe the hulled corn came back in a month. :( I was hoping you'd post how well he was doing. Did they feel that they'd gone far enough & gotten it all? Can you see the corn reforming - maybe it's scar tissue that's causing him the discomfort? I had my boy's corns surgically removed on his front feet & although he has scar tissue that's not the most fun, the corns never came back. But I understand how Miami feels because my Conor is having a godawful time with his back corns. He's now 3 legging it while running, although he can't do much because of the other corn. At this point, he's not the same dog he used to be. The only thing left I have to try is duct tape. I do regular hulling, have tried bee propolis, Murray Ave cream & currently black salve. All have done nothing. :weep After Dewey (which he most probably won't be able to attend), I'm pursuing surgery. The damn things just keep growing & I need to give him a chance to have some fun again.

Not a very uplifting response, but I wanted you to know you're not alone. BTW, I think Conor always had his corns - they started to appear a few weeks after I adopted him. I think the hard surface walking is what brought them out. I know you don't have much choice for Miami & I hope your homeopathic vet is able to provide some treatment for him. I'll be watching to see how you make out. :kiss2 for Miami.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest DeniseL

They do feel as though they went deep enough. I didn't think to ask if it was scar tissue. She squeezed all of his toes and with that one he yelped terribly. :( She said it didn't look good, that the corn was probably coming back. I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference between a corn and scar tissue, but I will take a look when I get home. I never even knew what a corn was before any of this happened. They are our first greyhounds :beatheart

Does the scar tissue ever go away? All I know is he won't put any weight on it, so it must hurt a lot.

I think I want to start a support group for owners of corn dogs. "Hello, my name is Denise and I have a greyhound with corns." :hehe

It'd be a big group. <_<

I wonder if his pad hasn't finished healing & that's why he yelped. It's only been a month, right? A corn usually starts as a small circular area on the pad, about the size of a pinhead. There may be a thickening of the pad in/around that area. The scar tissue for my boy is a hardening of almost his whole pad. I'm sure it's uncomfortable but he won't yelp or pull away hard when you squeeze it. It took months for his pads to heal from conventional surgery but I don't know how long it is for laser surgery. What does the pad look like? Does it have a surgical mark where the cut was made?

Well I'm going to think only good thoughts for Miami & hope that he just needs some healing time on that foot. That would be great, wouldn't it? :clover

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis