Normal Panting

When excited (during play time, before and during and after walks) Otis start panting... he also does it when anxious.

I know it's a normal behaviour for dog but should I be concern?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Our Fuzzy has been panting a lot in this weather. He also hears thunder, at least, a half an hour before we do.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest cwholsin

Try and treat the cause of the anxiety. For noises, I've read that putting on normal sounds or doing something fun can work to reduce the stress :)

Guest Alysmom

Hi -- the question here would be does he stop the panting very quickly and does he start panting when there's seemingly no reason....not hot, hasn't done anything exciting or strenuous. Not to throw worry in here, but I just lost my beloved two weeks ago today to lung cancer. It was the panting that got me to take him in. He started panting what seemed to be more than normal about a year ago. I complained about it to my vet and they assured me nothing was wrong. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would have taken him for a scope right away so he could have had treatment. As it was, the last two weeks of his life, he panted constantly (we live in the Northwest - it was 65 degrees during the day at the time)... he walked outside to go potty and panted. He also had decreased energy at the end. Before, not at all.

As I said, I sure don't mean to introduce worry into your day, but keep an eye on it. If he seems to be panting more than he should at times that don't really necessitate the panting, you might want to consider checking into it. My boy was only 11.... I miss him so bad, I can barely stand it.

Blessings and prayers to you, I hope everything is AOK....

I'm sorry for you lost Alysmom :grouphug

I think Otis is in good health, the panting is always about something and it's not all the time.

Panting because of the heat is ok (it's been quite hot this summer here with high humidity levels).

It's the anxious panting that I want to moderate or stop..

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Are you entirely sure that what you're seeing as anxious panting isn't related to pain that might not be obvious? Just checking.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

greyhaed: some example of situation when Otis is panting:

-In the morning when I'm eating my breakfast and he is waiting to go for his walk (he has access to the backyard during this time and can go potty if needed). He want to go walk and will walk in the house, whinning and panting (like saying that I take too much time to eat).

-we had some thunderstorm this summer at night. Otis will wake up (bed is in our bedroom) and will start panting (many minutes or hour before the storm arrives).

-when it's time for the evning walk he gets really excited when I get the leash, jumps around, bark and start panting and whining... this summer he continued panting during the walk (but keep in mind summer is really humid this year and I'm sweting during walks).

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Annie Bella pants when she's hot, of course (and there has been a lot of panting on our walks this summer which is why they've been short ones), but she also pants when she gets excited and when she's anxious. Storms and fireworks, as well as other loud noises, don't bother her so there is no panting. She pants when she realizes I'm going out in the car and she doesn't know if she's going with me. She pants when she knows she's going with me ("Want to go in the car?"). She pants when she's in the car riding, even if the trip is hours long. She stops when there is resolution to what's causing the anxiety/question in her life. I consider it part of her personality and except for long car rides, when I give her either a Xanax or a Calm K-9 cookie, I don't worry or do anything about it.

it would be real funny if Otis and Annie met! ;)

look the same and act the same :lol:

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

it would be real funny if Otis and Annie met! ;)

look the same and act the same :lol:

Just read this today. I wonder what they would do? Annie Bella tends to get happy/excited when she meets up with a new dog but after 30 seconds of sniffing, she acts bored, and she gets bored quicker with Greyhounds than with other breeds or mutts.

thanks

it's more normal summer weather since yesterday and yes the panting was less... but still excitement equals panting (and jumping and whinning and barking) for Otis :lol:

I have an other question!

does dog get stuffy nose?? last night Otis started breathing loudly and his nose made noise... it's the out breath that was short and noisy...

it last about 40minutes.. Otis was laying on the side on his bed but his neck and head on the floor... after he made a big sigh it just stop...

I stayed awake during that time..and after.. concerned and worrying..

DH aften make that sounds during his sleep and he as sinus and nose problems...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Guest Alysmom

What I would go by is has this always been the case, or is it something new?? If it is new, or becoming more pronounced, I'd go for some testing. I wish I had done testing on mine a year ago when I suspected something was wrong. I was told he was okay by my regular vet and he was not. Better to rule problems out and know everything is fine!!! They can do a scope and look down there.... If I had it to do over, that's what I'd do..... Saying a little prayer for your pup and you -- :hope