High-Reward Treats?

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

I'm starting to see some beginning symptoms of separation anxiety in Teddi. Mostly, when I leave he barks and barks and cries for 5-10 minutes, then stops for a few, and then repeats the whole thing. He stays in his crate when I leave--I still don't trust him 100% in the house (it's only been 13 days). If I leave when my roommates are home and they offer to watch him out of his crate, he paces, barks, whines, and then goes back to sleep after about 10 minutes.

My adoption group suggested using some high reward treats for him. I'm going to try to pick up some bully sticks tonight--I know he loves them! Any other good suggestions? He has an everlasting treat ball but he uses it mostly in play and out of his crate. I'm looking for something that will get him past the initial anxiety/barking/whining stage and also make me leaving fun. I've been trying some alone training, but it really doesn't seem to be working. I don't pay attention to him until he stops barking and falls asleep, and then give lots of love, but every time we do it again I have to repeat the entire procedure.

I'd recommend not leaving him alone with a bully stick or other chew. They're great, but they should be given with supervision only, since they can be choking hazards.

You can freeze peanut butter, bananas, yogurt, pumpkin, little pieces of meat, etc... in a Kong, and that should take him a while to get through.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest Vers

Vjjgrey on both points. You really don't want to leave a dog alone with anything that's a potential choking hazard; things like bullysticks are much more suited for supervised chew time. A stuffed kong is a great way to go. Avoid blocking the little hole at the small end of the kong when you fill it.

Guest kkaiser104

I'll try freezing a kong for him tonight and use it tomorrow during his alone time. Thanks for the suggestion! I keep forgetting that you can stuff kongs

It really depends on the individual dog. I like Dentley's knuckle bones (you can get them at PetSmart) and CET dental chews. Some people don't feel comfortable giving rawhide or bones unsupervised. I've never had a problem. Kongs are good too, but I find them to be a lot of work and my dogs never finish them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest team_tonio

I might be a day late and a dollar short... but try something really tasty when doing alone training... I used rotisserie chicken. Delish! It was verrrry time consuming but so worth it. Id leave and enter the house up to 20 times a day increasing the length of time I was gone. Just a few seconds to 15 min to halfhour. Try ignoring him for a few minutes when you return.. That helped us too. Once he realized I was always coming back he was a happy boy with his kong :)

Good luck to you and teddi!