Alone Training?

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

I've seen this pop up in several threads recently, but I'm not finding anything when I search that is extremely useful. What is alone training, and what is the best way to do it? Teddi will have been home two weeks tomorrow, and we're starting to have some issues when I leave and crate him, or when I put him in his crate while I'm home (if I'm bringing groceries in, occasionally if we're eating dinner, etc..) He will bark for probably 5 minutes, stop for a few, and then start barking again. My roommates say this can go on for about half an hour, when he finally tires himself out and will just go to bed. What's the best way to handle this?

Guest magiknat

Are you putting him in the crate at other times? It might be that he is associating the crate with only bad stuff (like you leaving etc). Try putting him in it for a few minutes while dropping treats through the bars the whole time and don't make a big deal when you let him out. Then a while later do the same thing over and over gradually increasing the time that he is in there. Also maybe feed him in the crate with the door open. Another thing to try is putting a kong/treat toy in the crate and take it away when he is not in the crate.

If you search in Training and Behavior you'll find tons of information. Your best source is probably the Patricia McConnell booklet, "I'll Be Home Soon." Should be able to find that on Amazon.com.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck