Preparing For A First Time Foster, Suggestions?

Guest badderh

Guest badderh

I'll be getting my first foster this coming weekend and was wondering if I could get some general tips from everyone. I've been reading books and articles on how to work with dogs right off of the track, and of course we have our grey that we've worked with but he was off the track for 8 months before we got him, so I figured some advice from people based on their experiences might be good to hear as well!

Thank you!

I've been fostering since 2002 and took a break this year for a while. This weekend, I had 3 fosters :lol

This is what I do with an off the track hound (everyone does things differently).

I have a crate set up in my dining room which allows the foster to see me and my hounds most of the time.

When I get the foster home, I let them check out the yard. I have him/her meet my hounds outside.

If it's not too hot, we spend some time outside.

Then I bring the foster inside and lead him to the crate. I throw a treat in and usually they walk right in. I tell him to lay down.

I start on alone training and go about my business.

I find alone training the first day is crucial and I've been lucky and most of the fosters have not had horrible SA.

The first few fosters, I screwed up alone training. I wanted to lavish attention on them the first few days so when I went back to work, they freaked out being alone.

Lesson learned :lol

Good luck and have fun. I obviously left out a lot like teaching stairs, windows, walking, etc.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17