Allergies To Greyhounds?

I think it is a very bad allergy year in Ohio. I don't think bad about these people at all. I am very supportive of them. I have been emailing with the mom. Her daughter is due to come home from her grandmother's house next week. They have cleaned and cleaned. Hubby is the most nervous because he was at the house when his daughter had the asthma attack, but mom is really not wanting to give the dogs up and is resisting and wants to see if maybe it was the cats. I told her it is so hard to tell. I will take them at any time. If she comes home and has any problem, then I can take them immediately or I can take them now. I feel badly for them. I know doctors tend to say - get rid of all pets. The doctors told them that one of her lungs is smaller than the other. Of course the parents want to do what's best for their child. Yes, I am sure the daughter feels terrible. The family was divided half and half on the greyhounds so they adopted both dogs 15 months ago.

Guest Whistle

My 6-year-old daughter is allergic to dogs (I believe she is allergic to our Greyhounds) and also has mild asthma. We currently have 4 Greyhounds and what is probably a mixed Pitt whom we've had for about a year. Her dog allergy was confirmed by blood tests and the scratch test. She was very sick on and off for a few years. Since she had the testing, we have had her on daily meds. We have special filters for the air vents. Luckily we have solid-surface flooring downstairs, which I now clean at least once a day. That is also where the dogs spend most of their time. We no longer allow dogs in her bedroom or playroom. She is doing much better with these changes.

It's a very bad year for allergies everywhere.

My grandchildren inherited their allergies. My DD & her DH pulled up all the carpet, and their allergy doctor told them not to get rid of the dogs & cats, just don't let the kids sleep with them.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guess we will know next week. I told the family that I could take the dogs now or they could wait until their daughter gets home and see how it goes. We adults can do what we want and just deal with the allergies, but when it involves a child, it is different. I know a lot of people that have dog allergies and do fine with greyhounds. I am mostly allergic to mold with mild dog allergies. Doc told me not to sleep with them either. But I had a 100 pound retriever/shep/rot mix with a double hair coat for 13 years. He passed away in 2010 at 13 1/2 and come to think of it I do have less problems now except for this month! Turn down the heat and humidity please!

• 3 weeks later...