Only Goes Potty For Me......

Guest kirstenbergren

Guest kirstenbergren

We've had our new greyhound PJ for a week and a half. We live in a townhouse and have to take him out to go potty on a leash. He goes for me outside, but won't go for my husband during the day. He'd rather hold it all day and then sometimes have an accident inside. My husband usually takes him out with our kids (ages 1 & 4) with. Maybe that's his problem?? I really want them to be okay while I'm at work during the day. I can always come home on my lunch break and take him out, but I feel that might encourage this behavior so I haven't done that yet. Any suggestions? My husband works overnights, so when I get home from work he goes to sleep so he can go to work later.

How long are they out for? Sometimes you need 20 minutes or so of walking to achieve all potty duties.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Gillybear

I noticed that when our kids were younger, Gill would be too distracted to go potty if they were out too. Now they are old enough to take him out themselves, but he frequently makes it very clear that he would prefer I take him! We've just had to be firm in expecting him to potty with all of us,but it has been a struggle at times (and he's been with us for 8 years!! )

Guest PiagetsMom

My DH has always had an easier time of getting the pups to do their business, which is why he always gets last out when he's home. I'm sure it's a difference in attitude - he's got more of a "lets get this business done" attitude than I do.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if PJs not distracted by the little ones with your DH. Since he can't leave the little ones alone, he probably needs to allow for more time for PJ, and then if he still doesn't do his business, more frequent outs to avoid accidents.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Could it be that PJ is a little potty-shy? When I first got Luna, she was the same way, and would only do her business when I was out with her alone. What worked for me was to stand with our backs to her so she felt she had a little privacy. Perhaps your DH could try that and see if it works. Eventually she got used to others being around and it was no longer an issue, but it may be worth a try!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest LindsaySF

My guesses would be that either husband isn't walking him long enough, or PJ is being distracted by (or is afraid of) the kids, which makes him reluctant to potty. It might just take some time to acclimate to the kids being around, but I'd encourage husband to walk him longer, and for kids to be a little away from him, maybe some backs turned, so he feels free to go. I would come home at lunch for now, if it will prevent accidents in the house then it's worth it.