Worms--Again

We just got back from the vet...Mason has worms AGAIN! This is the second time he has worms since March (Molly as well). Molly had worms when she came to me in December and shared the joy. I regularly do HeartGuard and Frontline and don't have a yard (I leash walk and clean up the poop each and every time).

Is there something else I should be doing to prevent this? How concerned should I be about this?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

My dog still had them when I got her, and we keep treating them repeatedly. None of my other dogs have them. She just must have had a lot when the group took her off the farm. This might be the case with yours?

This may be a later stage of the same problem he had in March. Some worms have a 3-week life cycle. Some have a 3-month life cycle. Generally, dogs need to be wormed more than once, even if the worms don't show up in a fecal exam.

And Heartgard doesn't kill as many different parasites as Interceptor (which presently is out of production). Heartgard doesn't hit whipworms, I think.

Ask your vet whether (and how often) you should be deworming your duo. And you may need to deworm both even if only one dog shows symptoms. Your vet can advise better.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest LindsaySF

What type of worms? Some worms hide in the tissues and it takes several deworming treatments to get them all. Heartguard doesn't work on whipworms.

They're hookworms. They both had Panacur with the rescue group, we did the yellow liquid (I forgot the name) dewormer in March and we're doing it again now (so every 3 months). Molly came in December and I have to assume she had worms--I got her basically right off the track. She was only in the kennel with the rescue group for less than a week when I fell in love and took her home. We did Panacur then. Honestly, I wasn't that concerned today because I understand they come from the track and it's just assumed they have them. As long as I'm dilligent (and I am) with Heartguard and Frontline it's just kind of an "is" with track Greys. The vets office sort of made it seem like a big deal.

I just wanted to check in with others and see what you all thought.

For hooks you want to do 3-4 rounds of wormer 2-3 weeks apart. They probably don't have them again -- they probably never got rid of them. Heartguard/Interceptor can help *prevent* hooks but won't clear an existing infestation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's Strongid! Thanks. I knew it had a more official name than "the yellow stuff"! :hehe So I should call the vet and ask to repeat it weekly for 6 weeks? At this point I'll try anything.

That's our clinics protocol - 0.5mls/10lbs body weight--we have had greyt success with that (and yes, with hooks in Ghs).

Good luck!

Worms - a four letter word for sure along with hook, flea, tick, etc. I just took two "samples" in and they were positive for hooks and rounds. First time for rounds and I am thinking the rounds are from the wildlife around my yard. I have six fosters here and one foster boy I have had for 14 months and have probably wormed him over a dozen times. I even resorted to Heartgard every two weeks. Another boy who recently came from the farm has been wormed three times and was positive today for hooks and rounds. I have been buying Panacur by the pound which is outrageously high now at $320/pound. I want to try to the Pyrantel which I guess is Strongid. My one vet says it doesn't work as well, but the Panacur sure doesn't seem like it is working either. I also tried Drontal Plus three times. Has anyone had good luck with the Srongid and is it as safe? I think I am going to try it. I thought I had won the battle, but I guess not.